is there such a thing as a mlb hitting instructor cetification?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Left Hook

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
The reason I ask is the guy told me he is a certified hitting instructor by mlb. I don't believe that only because I have never heard of that? I know some former pros that teach " their way" have certifications such as Epstein.

Jun 24, 2013
I showed DD’s old HC my ASA certified card, I didn’t tell him that meant I only passed a background check. He was really impressed I had one, he thought I put a lot of effort into it. :)

Basically cost $25 and an 1/2 an hour of my time. Please do not tell him that.

Jun 1, 2013
I may be wrong but for there to be a certificate then someone has to acknowledge there is a set way to do something.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Truly certified? NOPE. Are there people out there that think that they are the only ones that know the "secret" to the MLB swing? Hundreds! What I can't figure out is that if they have the secret then why aren't they working in MLB? LOL!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Truly certified? NOPE. Are there people out there that think that they are the only ones that know the "secret" to the MLB swing? Hundreds! What I can't figure out is that if they have the secret then why aren't they working in MLB? LOL!

Because it wouldn't be a secret then.....duh. (said and meant as a joke)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Does anyone like the Epstein way... I have reviewed his teachings and I really like what he teaches... He does offer certification but his stuff is very pricey

I had the Epstein DVD. JMHO. Good starting point for younger hitters. The one problem I have found is when the hitter removes the bat from the deltoid/shoulder. Now the hitter needs to learn to use the hands/turn the barrel. So, I would start with teaching a hitter from the start to use their hands. Again JMHO.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009

It seems that to be a hitting coach for most mlb teams you have to have been drafted, then have a big BUT.

"He was picked 12th BUT only played one year in the majors"
"He had a low batting average BUT did walk a lot"
"He only played 6 months in the majors BUT did spent 90 years in the minors."
"He hit 69 home runs BUT....."

Of course I am exaggerating a little bit.