Is there any place in the game for beaning a batter?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2021
MI
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Had that been my team, after my second girl got knocked on her butt, I can think of exactly the one girl on my team I would have sent out there to to drag the infield with that catcher, by her hair! Right or wrong on my part? Line crossed!!

Dec 18, 2016
If those people complaining believe that the catcher's elbow flattened those base-runners like that, they need a lesson in physics. They were getting shoulder checked by a catcher who was bracing for impact.
From the angle of the video the catcher appears to be standing inside of the diamond and not in the base path or blocking the plate.
Were the base-runners running at her instead of running by her and touching the plate?
Is she not able to defend herself?
I would need other angles and some back story to make a decision on this one.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

What additional views do you need? There is no play at the plate and she's most definitely initiating contact. What backstory would make this acceptable......?

Attachments

• Image 3-20-21 at 9.49 AM.jpg
    Image 3-20-21 at 9.49 AM.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 16
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I know I said I didn’t believe in retaliation from a HBP, but this is a whole different animal! After the second contact, if the ump didn’t step in, or more importantly the opposing coach and jerk that catcher out of the game right then.....it would get seriously ugly!

Hitting a girl blindside that’s running and not expecting contact is dangerous, that catcher is rotten to her core!

Nov 8, 2020
What additional views do you need? There is no play at the plate and she's most definitely initiating contact. What backstory would make this acceptable......?
I would want a view up or down the foul line to see if the catcher was blocking the plate or if the runners were running at the catcher.
I watched the video, the catchers feet are inside the chalk line, that means there is at least a foot of plate, outside the chalk line, for the base-runners to step on.
A back story that would warrant a catcher bracing for impact would be one where she was trucked in a play at the plate before, one of her teammates was ran in to or spiked or one where this other team is known for running in to fielders
Whatever image you're posting does not show up on my phone on this app
Everyone deserves an advocate, I'm not watching a YouTube video filmed from the enemy side with the enemies commentary and taking their word for it as the absolute truth.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The chalk lines start at the front corners of the plate. The catcher's feet, in the video, are inside the chalk line. There is 17" of plate behind the front corners. Almost a foot and a half of plate is outside the diamond. I'm not saying that the base-runners were running at the catcher, nor could I say that without a camera view that looks down the foul line. But what is clear is that the catcher is standing inside the diamond (chalk lines) and the base-runners are clearly outside of the diamond after rounding third base.

Nope. The whole plate is inside fair territory. I’m surprised you don’t know that. Plus the foul lines have zero to do with base paths. Surprised you don’t know that either.

Nov 8, 2020
If you're saying that the catcher is standing on the plate and does not have the ball, then the catcher would be at fault for blocking the runners path to the plate.

Dec 18, 2016
If you're saying that the catcher is standing on the plate and does not have the ball, then the catcher would be at fault for blocking the runners path to the plate.

The photo I posted shows the catcher standing on the foul line with her left foot and no ball in hand. No reason for her to be there....and no play at the plate. She was in the wrong place regardless of whether you think she trucked the base runners on purpose or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild