Is there a rule for that?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Edy

May 24, 2010
Last weekend I witnessed something really strange.

Men's fastpitch, base coach spent some time studying the catcher's signals and then just started advising the hitters about the incoming pitch. (i.e. "inside low!", "it's a change now!")
Naturally, pitcher and catcher changed the signals as soon as they noticed it was hurting their game.

IMO that's something as rude as the batter spying on the catcher's signals by himself. But anyway, is there any rule about that? Can a base-runner or a base coach help the batter by telling him the incoming pitch and still get away with it?

There's no rule that I'm aware of.
I dont really think it's good sportsmanship though. But if the catcher and pitcher can change their signals regularly it shouldnt be too much of an issue anyway.
I personally wouldnt do it, and have previously, when offered the opportunity to know what the pitcher is throwing, refused the offer. Haha went 3-4 in that game by the way :p

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
It is part of the game and you simply have to coach around it. We had something similar happen last weekend. Whenever a batter got on 2nd base, they would signal with their hands to the batter where the catcher was setting up. If the catcher set up to the outside with the glove a little high, the base runner would signal it in to the batter. Once I pointed it out to the catcher, she simply held the glove in one spot... waited for the base runner to signal her batter... then repositioned herself to the actual spot.

Like I said... It is easy to coach around it. There doesn't have to be a rule (IMO)

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
There's no rule against stealing signs or relaying them to the batter.

It's simple enough to work around. Changing your signs is the easiest remedy. Once the person stealing the signs tells the batter the next pitch is an outside drop, and the pitcher throws an inside fastball, the batters probably aren't going to be listening to him after that!

While I would NEVER advocate throwing at a batter in a YOUTH game, since you're talking adult ball here...if I was a batter on the team that was stealing signs, I wouldn't get too comfortable in the batter's box, if you know what I mean.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
There is a way to make it not so obvious, or rude to the other team. Once I have the signals down I keep it very simple.

My words to the batter ( I'll mix them up just incase ) :)

Come on good hitter= rise
stay tall= drop
drive the ball= screw
need you on base= FB middle for a strike
stay tough= curve
win this battle= change

The key is to mix them up each game, and not yell the calls each and every pitch. Just when needed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32