Is the slip pitch a legal pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 27, 2019
I'm sure I saw this discussion before but can't find it.

I'm not sure if this link will work. The pitch I'm asking about is a change up that is delivered in the first motion forward with the pitching hand, releasing the ball and them continuing the windmill motion empty handed.

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah, I've read that if you can stop the arm from crossing in front of the body on the last rotation it's considered legal.

But what actually happens at the park with your umpires? Who knows?

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
It's illegal. Arm passing the hip or some loophole doesn't matter. You aren't allowed to make a rotation of the arm after releasing the pitch.

Feb 27, 2019
Yeah, I've read that if you can stop the arm from crossing in front of the body on the last rotation it's considered legal.

But what actually happens at the park with your umpires? Who knows?
I've seen it in a game before with opposing pitcher. We asked the umps and they said it was legal. I don't remember the sanction but probably softball nation. I also don't recall if she followed through past the hip twice.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Illegal under NCAA rules:
10.6.5. The pitcher may not make another arm revolution after releasing the ball.​

Nov 18, 2015
USSSA 6.1.G.5 (pg. 35):
THE PITCHER MAY USE ANY WINDUP DESIRED PROVIDED: [...]
5. The pitcher does not continue to wind up after taking the forward step or after the ball is released.

NOTE: Continuation of the windup is considered any action that, after the ball is released, causes the arm to continue to rotate past the shoulder.

There was a discussion on here a year or so ago - may have used a term other than slip pitch. Either way - sounds like all these rules are specifically written to avoid the exact situation you described. If the pitcher could stop her hand in time from rotating past her shoulder, but still "sell it" for a split-second to make it look like a regular delivery, it could work. But I can't see this being used successfully more than 2 or 3 times a game.

Maybe just save it for that special a**hole coach we all seem to keep coming across at every level.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Check this thread I posted about a year ago. If you page far enough into it, you'll see the actual pitch I was describing in the initial post. ETA: Video is on p. 2.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06