Is my Softball Commissioner Nuts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2012
We were a 12u last season and our best pitchers was an 11 year old. She has good enough stuff to move up to 13U with us and our commish is saying that she can't play up to 13u because she now qualifies as a 12U. This is crazy right. Who cares is a younger kid can play with the big girls,right.

I feel terrible that this commish is going to make this girl go thru 12U again and not give her the opportunity to play up to the competition.

Any help?

Well your only chance since logic does not seem to be at play in this scenario might be getting a copy of the written by laws it usually spells out when a child can play up rules vary from place to place but it is worth a shot.

Don't even want to ask why you are playing 13U? and usually 11yr olds play 12U (always depends on birth date obviously) it is not considered playing up, unless of course you have 11U?

Nov 29, 2009
The problem is not with the Commissioner. It is with the boys side of your program. Most programs keep the daddies in check by keeping strict control over playing kids up. If you left it to the rec daddies they would have the kids playing 3 levels up beyond their abilities. If they let the girls do it then the boys will scream about it.

Went through the same thing with a talented girl a few years back. Got tired of fighting the rec ball juggernaut trying to bring travel level softball to a program and left to go back to full time travel.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Way back when I was involved with the softball board in rec league, we encouraged the
flame throwing 11-12 yo to move up so the girls moving up from 10u would not be intimidated

Jun 24, 2013
Our Commissioner is making an effort to keep players in their age group, we have to many players moving up and in his opinion weakens the program.

I am sure there are exceptions but I agree with him that too many players are playing out of their age group.

Jun 11, 2013
Is this Little League? They have some rules about playing up and going over 12 makes it another division.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Find out what the rules are and use them to your advantage if possible. You'd be surprised how often they are misinterpreted even by a commissioner. Usually there is some way for a player to play up.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
When you have 200 or 300 kids playing softball/baseball in a rec organization, nothing is simple or obvious.

If a good player wants to play competitive ball (and she doesn't live in California), she has to get out of the rec system and find a travel team. There really isn't any other way.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I agree with Sluggers. Our town rec program went by grade. DD is a late December birthday and they wanted her to stay at 10U because she was coming out of 5th grade. She had already played a Fall season of travel at 12U and she'd play that again. I actually went before the board and made my case. The replies were such we left right then and there.

If this kid is really that good, speak to the parents and move her up somewhere else.

Nov 29, 2009
I agree with Sluggers. Our town rec program went by grade. DD is a late December birthday and they wanted her to stay at 10U because she was coming out of 5th grade. She had already played a Fall season of travel at 12U and she'd play that again. I actually went before the board and made my case. The replies were such we left right then and there.

If this kid is really that good, speak to the parents and move her up somewhere else.

And the rec programs moan about losing the "best" kids to travel. Unfortunately, they are their own worst enemy but fail to realize it.

The biggest problem with rec is the turnover on the Boards. As kids age out of the program there is a new set of well-meaning parents who have to learn the whole system again.

The reason you got the answers you did is simple. It's easier to let one player go rather then listen to another 25 daddies give their reasons why their kid is the next Jeter and should be moved up. They don't want to disturb the status quo. Usually when the exception monster gets let out of the cage he can not be returned there easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild