Is modified FP delivery legal in regular FP?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2016
I'm unable to throw windmill due to a shoulder issue, but I can throw a submarine pitch. Is that kind of pitch legal in fastpitch? The delivery starts with a figure 8 in front and then a 9 o clock circle with a submarine delivery without slingshotting sideways. What do you think?

May 27, 2013
Sling-shot definitely is legal - I'd have to see what you are describing, though, since it sounds somewhat different.

Dec 19, 2012
I'm "fairly" sure in ASA and PGF the arm must make at least one full revolution. Not sure about the other associations.

Edited to add:
I take that back. I think the rule is you're not allowed to make 2 full revolutions. Hell, I can't remember....lol.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Lenski, I am sure that without looking it up it Asa says something about the arm may pass the hip once and only once. Something like that but it is not required.

You got it with your edit. :)

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
The figure 8 in front is fine. Are you going behind the hip once and is the ball close to the hip? The ball cannot be submarined, as in baseball, it is further from the hip, than is allowed.

Make a video, in slow motion.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Rule 6 - the delivery must be an underhand motion with the hand below the hip and the wrist not farther from the body than the elbow.

From my perspective - modified and submarine are two different things. Submarine is against the rules based on the above statement - with or without a full revolution.

Would like more clarification from OP on what is actually being done.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06