Is modified FP delivery legal in regular FP?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
It's interesting this came up because I saw something last night I was wondering about. We practiced with a 10U team who brings in a 12U pitcher for batting practice (her sister is on the team). She was really good, and she occasionally did this thing where she did her back swing, but released the ball BEFORE the windmill. Then did the windmill but stopped her arm at her hip. When her sister was hitting she knew it was coming and still couldn't hit it. One of the coaches said it was legal as long as her arm only goes around once and stops at her hip. Of course, my daughter is like, "I want to practice that!" lol Was the coach right about it being legal? I can't tell for sure if we're talking about the same thing.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
It's interesting this came up because I saw something last night I was wondering about. We practiced with a 10U team who brings in a 12U pitcher for batting practice (her sister is on the team). She was really good, and she occasionally did this thing where she did her back swing, but released the ball BEFORE the windmill. Then did the windmill but stopped her arm at her hip. When her sister was hitting she knew it was coming and still couldn't hit it. One of the coaches said it was legal as long as her arm only goes around once and stops at her hip. Of course, my daughter is like, "I want to practice that!" lol Was the coach right about it being legal? I can't tell for sure if we're talking about the same thing.

If the ball was released and the windmill motion continued, this IS NOT a legal pitch. This is known as the softball version of the Ephus pitch.

Once the ball is released, the arm can follow through, but may not make another windmill type rotation. The applicable ASA rule is 6A-3-M

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I'm unable to throw windmill due to a shoulder issue, but I can throw a submarine pitch. Is that kind of pitch legal in fastpitch? The delivery starts with a figure 8 in front and then a 9 o clock circle with a submarine delivery without slingshotting sideways. What do you think?

When you say "submarine", I hear "sidearm".

A sidearm delivery is not legal in fast pitch softball. I'd have to see what you are describing to provide a definitive ruling.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL

DD loves this pitch, I haven't been able to get to her to throw it in a game to see what would happen.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008

The arm cannot continue to rotate after the release of the pitch. If she is releasing the ball and continues the rotation on around to the hip it is an illegal pitch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG