is it really necessary?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Yes, it is an unfair and biased opinion. Doesn’t change the way I feel though. In my experiences with my daughter (and as an observer via umpiring now) the teams that are most concerned with the look of the team have the least to offer in terms of teaching and growth ... unless it is already an elite program (and even then it is questionable if you are on a subsidy team).

Jul 3, 2014
Inland Empire
For younger teams, as long as their uniforms match, that's all that should matter. Although when the teams get older, I think it's kinda sharp when they all walk on the field with matching bags, helmets, etc...plus once they get to high school they all match anyways! Well the HS my DD's go to they do. Both of my DD's play on the same TB team and we were a little taken back when we paid for a helmet, bag, 4 game jerseys, practice shirts, 2 visors, and 4 game pants (X 2)...but then again we're planning on staying with this team for at least another year so it may be a little cost effective for us since we have 2! In regards to batting gloves and cleats, that's personal preference as long as they kinda go with the organization's color scheme

Jun 8, 2016
We used to share helmets until I played in college..my wife gets grossed out about that ( I told her we used to wear our ball caps under it but it doesn't quell her disgust)

Aug 1, 2019
MN
We used to share helmets until I played in college..my wife gets grossed out about that ( I told her we used to wear our ball caps under it but it doesn't quell her disgust)
Wow! I thought all kids shared helmets at some point. Even during the cootie years.

Apr 26, 2015
DD's teams have all matched since 12U. Cleats don't have to be the same brand but they need to be the same color. Batting gloves are the exception. (Well catchers have different bags, but made by the same company so they "coordinate"). DD has a pea head and the helmets the teams chooses never fit. We always have to buy extra padding so it will work for her.

Like Eric our team is moving to an organization that requires everything match. DD detests the pants, the jerseys are itchy, the socks are like winter sweaters and the helmets make the girls look like bobble heads. The cleats are nice. DD's team has always been well outfitted and the girls are not happy about having to change uniforms. Oh well...

I will say DD's team has always looked pretty sharp coming in to a tourney in their matching gear...necessary? maybe not. But sharp yes.

Jun 12, 2015
The only team DD's been on, from 8U through 12U this year, that hasn't had matching helmets, bags, and cleats was our little rec-turned-travel 8U team. It's definitely the norm from what I can tell and IME doesn't say a thing, good or bad, about the coaching otherwise. Her team this year (first year 14U) is all of the above except cleats.

Personally, I like everything matching. Like KPower said - not necessary at all, but they look sharp.

Jul 1, 2019
Last year was our first go-round with matching everything, DD hated the BoomBah helmet but never complained to anyone other than me. It worked, she still hit the ball, no real harm. Now we're with a new team and while they also have all matching gear (minus cleats), we're Demarini everything and she seemed really happy with the fit when getting sized. Overall, I personally like the idea of matching everything with the exception of cleats, that to me is a personal choice so long as they match a team color. That being said, it's gotta be more than just looking the part. What do you gain with a well dressed team that isn't coached by nor composed of quality individuals? Kinda like chrome plating a turd if the priority is only how they look.

Oct 4, 2018
I've always been a fan of players having matching helmets and cleats (part of the uniform, IMO), and bags. If it's my choice, they get their choice of gear preferences. Batting gloves don't matter to me.

That said, my DD just joined a new team (16U TB) that requires certain brands for everything. Everything! It's a bummer, but it was expected going in.

I'll admit I love the look of the matching gear. However, I think that stops with jerseys and helmets. So while I'd like to see matching cleats as well, I'd never mandate it for my team.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles