is it really necessary?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
That sounds pretty normal for a travel team. Usually it'll be 3 game jerseys and 2 practice jerseys, which are significantly less expensive. You could cut costs by not having those but it wouldn't save all that much. And between growing feet and wear and tear, don't you need to buy new cleats every year anyway? Why not match them?
yes, she will need new cleats by spring definitely (current ones hsould last for fall), but mandating a specific brand/model is problematic, because different brands fit different people differently. player A may love brand X cleats, player B may hate them.

well see how it pans out, as long DD can get her high top cleats, and they dont get all in a huff about the belt I guess.

Apr 28, 2019
My preference is for matching helmets because I think a consistent appearance looks good and promotes the concept of "team". If I'm running a team, specific batting helmets is something I would mandate. Same with gear bags. I prefer matching cleats, too, but I get that not every brand is comfortable for every player. I would definitely mandate cleats being the same color.

If you run a team, do it your way.

There are teams/orgs that dictate every piece - uniforms, helmets, cleats, batting gloves, belts, gloves, bats, catching gear...and face masks. There is usually a little flexibility within a specific brand on the gear items, but it's a pretty narrow list of choices. My DD just joined one of those teams. We knew what to expect going in. If you can't handle that kind of control by the team/org, find another one.
Not about handling anything. About common sense and getting the most bang for your buck. Not everybody is like you apparently and wants to pour money into being a clone. Nothing wrong with personal expression as long as the colors are team colors.
There are a lot of control freaks in coaching that try and control every little aspect of the game on and off the field. A little counseling would go a long way.

May 6, 2015
my main point is the players should all match to some degree, ie colors used, but that comfort and performance should be higher on the list than same style cleats and helmets.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Not about handling anything. About common sense and getting the most bang for your buck. Not everybody is like you apparently and wants to pour money into being a clone. Nothing wrong with personal expression as long as the colors are team colors.
There are a lot of control freaks in coaching that try and control every little aspect of the game on and off the field. A little counseling would go a long way.

Wearing the same batting helmet as your teammate is being a "clone"? LOL...ummmm...okay. It seems to me that it's pretty standard operating procedure at the upper levels of this game, and I see no issue with it for younger players, too. As I said, I prefer it because it promotes the idea of "team".

I have never said that anyone else should be like me, or my opinion is more valid that anyone else's. I was just sharing my preferences and experiences. Apparently, we have a different point of view on the subject, and that's just fine.

Do I want to dump a pile of money into a bunch of new gear and uniforms? Not really. My DD has spent a bunch of years discovering her favorites, and I have rewarded the hard work she puts into her game by buying her what she and I both feel is the best gear available. However, we both feel that the best next step on her path toward her goals in the game is with a team that mandates specific gear choices. It's all great stuff, but just not my DD's favorites. I have never said that this is the path that anyone else should take, but these teams do exist, and are sometimes a good fit for other reasons besides the gear and uniforms.

Dec 5, 2017
Wow! I thought all kids shared helmets at some point. Even during the cootie years.
Can't even get them to share a bat anymore, at least not at the younger ages. Probably 8 or 9 of the girls on our old team had a cf9 and they were mostly the same size. i can't tell you how many times a girl would be in the dugout freaking out because she couldn't find her bat, while searching through 6 others that were identical to hers :ROFLMAO:

Jun 8, 2016
The only thing DD's (now 12U) team up to this year had to have the same were the uniform tops and stirrups (which they hardly ever wear to my dismay..I like stirrups). Helmets had to be black and then you got the team logo put on it. Bags could be different. Pants had to be the same colors obviously but you could buy different brands.

This year the org got involved with Gluv and so two of the uniform sets will include everything (pants,shirts,etc). but we only have to pay for one of them as the other set is going to be paid for by the org. So $105 for two uniform sets. The third uniform jersey is going to be the same as it was the last two seasons.

My only worry is that the Gluv pants won't fit my Olive Oyl DD very well..LOL!!

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
The only thing DD's (now 12U) team up to this year had to have the same were the uniform tops and stirrups (which they hardly ever wear to my dismay..I like stirrups). Helmets had to be black and then you got the team logo put on it. Bags could be different. Pants had to be the same colors obviously but you could buy different brands.
I like this a lot. let the girls find the pants/helmets/masks/cleats that work best for each of them, as long as they are within team color scheme and or nuetral.

This year the org got involved with Gluv and so two of the uniform sets will include everything (pants,shirts,etc). but we only have to pay for one of them as the other set is going to be paid for by the org.
trust me, you have/will pay for the second uniform, just not directly.

My only worry is that the Gluv pants won't fit my Olive Oyl DD very well..LOL!!
If they are solid pants, match color with a brand/style she likes, chances are no one will notice, and even less they care if they do

Jun 8, 2016
trust me, you have/will pay for the second uniform, just not directly.
Probably..they supposedly took away a sponsored uniform from one of the older teams and gave it to us. Maybe they heard that one of the parents can get really angry and starts throwing things around and didn't want to piss him off too much..who knows :LOL:

Jun 8, 2016
Probably..they supposedly took away a sponsored uniform from one of the older teams and gave it to us. Maybe they heard that one of the parents can get really angry and starts throwing things around and didn't want to piss him off too much..who knows :LOL:
@bmakj that was a joke making fun of myself and something silly/stupid I did at my DD's last tournament.

See post # 96...

May 6, 2015
@bmakj that was a joke making fun of myself and something silly/stupid I did at my DD's last tournament.

See post # 96...

I know, was loving it! I absolutely love self deprecation.

but it begs a good question, make certain if you are part of large org, your team is not there mostly just to fund the older/more prestigious teams. seen this happen in multiple orgs multiple sports.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish