is it really necessary?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
When we were younger everything matched. The only thing you had a choice on were cleats and batting gloves but those still had to be Mizuno and black, white, or team color. The only time DD got a pass was wearing UA rubber cleats after a high ankle sprain because they were much easier on her ankle as she got back to 100%.

Now in 16U we have a list of what we must wear. Three jerseys, three pairs of pants, three belts, two sets of stirrups and socks, two pairs of cleats one white and one black. Visors/hats are optional but we have three to choose from and the same helmet. The only rule is the girls have to all wear the same color if they wear one. Same rule applies to bows.ribbons. Other rule is cleats must be clean when they arrive at the park for the first game. Positive for my DD is Mizuno is by far her favorite uniform, cleats, and helmet.

Part of it at this age is looking professional and let people know you take pride in representing your team and in your appearance. When they showcase is it the most important thing? No but every little thing helps and it shows the girls can do what is expected of them to represent their organization or future college well.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Uniform and helmet should match. Nothing says "thrown together" faster than uniforms that don't match. In fact, I can often tell who the pickups are on the other team because they are dressed differently, which might matter in an event that doesn't allow them. After that...shoes, gloves, bats...should be up to the individual. Color can be mandated, but even on college teams not everything always matches head-to-toe. Matching bags are a nice to have because it's easier to identify and locate the team's equipment pile.

Dec 6, 2016
Funny thing, I was on board with everybody matching and looking great...until last night. I typically stay out of writing the checks because my wife takes care of the finances and I'm oblivious to how much "things" cost. So, this past weekend, my wife and daughter went to her team fitting. They came home and I never asked how it went or questioned how much we spent. Well, I over heard my wife at dinner last night talking to a friend that the clothing package cost $485! I about lost my mind!! 5 Jerseys, 3 pairs of pants, 3 belts, 3 socks, bat bag, helmet, cleats.

WHO NEEDS ALL THIS??????

I swear we are making everybody rich so my daughter can play softball!

Mar 7, 2016
I left it up to the team one year to wear their choice of helmets/cleats/bags.... Had one girls come with a neon green helmet, one a pair of red cleats, and numerous girls carrying their gloves to practice... NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.... until i inspected them: The helmet and cleats were garage sell finds, the helmet no visor, 2 sizes too big, the cleats worn down to nothing. The thing Ive come to learn over the past decade coaching is some people did not grow up playing sports and really just have no idea. So after that season I made it a goal to find sponsorship, donations and do fund raisers to cover the team gear going forward. Still to this day we do this until this season:

However nothing is more of a PITA than ordering cleats for an entire team. with sizing and returning. This is the first year we can wear metal with this new team i coach. So i get pricing for team cleats going with Ringors.... I did not do fundraising, or sponsorship and left it up to the families. 9/12 went with the team cleat... 3 refused saying their old rubber cleats were good enough even after i pointed it out they had over 60+ games on them and were not going to work there was no actual cleat left.

comes down to when given the choice some either dont know or wont spend the money when not required.

Those that had fit up issues were always free to choose what they needed as long as it was close in color.

Apr 28, 2019
I've always been a fan of players having matching helmets and cleats (part of the uniform, IMO), and bags. If it's my choice, they get their choice of gear preferences. Batting gloves don't matter to me.

That said, my DD just joined a new team (16U TB) that requires certain brands for everything. Everything! It's a bummer, but it was expected going in.
Uni’s include shirts, pants, socks, & stirrups if used. Helmets are protective gear. As long as it’s in team colors who friggin’ cares. Spikes are personal choice depending on brand, fit, style etc....
What’s next matching gloves & face masks?
It’s not a fashion show it’s a softball team.

Apr 28, 2019
Uni’s include shirts, pants, socks, & stirrups if used. Helmets are protective gear. As long as it’s in team colors who friggin’ cares. Spikes are personal choice depending on brand, fit, style etc....
And belts I forgot belts as part of the team uni.

May 6, 2015
they are doing facemasks as well., forgot to mentio that.

again, I have no problem having to match colors or at worst nuetral (ie black, white, gray).

as for belt, wavering on telling coach to save his money and not order one, she is a catcher, never wears the belts (team photo is it), says it digs in.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

My preference is for matching helmets because I think a consistent appearance looks good and promotes the concept of "team". If I'm running a team, specific batting helmets is something I would mandate. Same with gear bags. I prefer matching cleats, too, but I get that not every brand is comfortable for every player. I would definitely mandate cleats being the same color.

If you run a team, do it your way.

There are teams/orgs that dictate every piece - uniforms, helmets, cleats, batting gloves, belts, gloves, bats, catching gear...and face masks. There is usually a little flexibility within a specific brand on the gear items, but it's a pretty narrow list of choices. My DD just joined one of those teams. We knew what to expect going in. If you can't handle that kind of control by the team/org, find another one.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
DD plays for a big org, and while she was in 12U they had a simple package with a bag, helmet, and dry-fit shirts (two of them). Now that the team has moved up to 14U, they had to order everything through the team. The only thing that they're flexible on is bats and gloves. However, because most of the gear is stuff you'd have to buy anyway, the org's sponsorship deal with Mizuno saved us quite a bit of money off of what we would have paid retail.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez