Is it just me?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Thank you all so much, I thought this thread was going to go in a different direction. It's very comforting to know I'm not the only one struggling with this
When I posted I was at a tourney and my dd actually asked for help but when I tried to help she just wanted to argue. Game time she knows I won't say anything unless she asks, practice is the only time I will try to give advise and even then I walk on eggshells. I just got so frustrated when she asked (which she will do occasionally) and then was very disrespectful. Looking back now I understand that she lashed out at me because she's frustrated with her self. ...She's struggling with staying in her lean and it's even got worse since she's tried to correct it.
I take my cues from PC, and PC has told her a few times that without my help her progress will be much slower.
I take all your advise to heart and hopefully will find something that works for a while then I'm sure I'll have to change it up.

For me it's definitely not about the pitching it's about spending quality time with her. I love just playing catch it's some of the rare times we actually laugh with each other, since she became an evil teen. Part of me wishes she would give up pitching it's a pain in the butt! but while she's still passionate about it I will try to help the best way I can. ...I have to admit pitching is fun!

Hope this post made some sense it's been a long day!

Love hearing your stories and solutions!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
My kid doesn't pitch, but for catching and to a lesser degree hitting, I only ask questions. I believe both of us have been a lot happier this way, because I'm not nagging and not expressing my own opinion.
If I said "you need to get your feet together" I frequently got teen resistance, but when I ask "are you getting your feet together?" she just fixes it and moves on.

In our case, she was comfortable in a system already, I don't know if would help or hurt if your DD is just getting familiar with new mechanics.

Sep 10, 2013
My DD is 14 and it seems there's a bypass between her ear and her brain :) when it's coming from coach Mom and Dad.

I used to have a list of items I wanted her to do during pitching. it was way too many. i've chopped the list in half and now focus on just one or two items to work on.
it's better but hasn't been perfect, the ear to brain bypass is still quite active, but video helps and at least DD does 'listen' to the video.
sometimes, i just have to zip it and back off and let the video do the talking.

it also helps when it comes from teammates' parents, not necessarily the PC. "yeah, mindy's parents also have her do strength workouts 30 minutes, 4x a week". DD would have nothing to say.
DD's PC has also said, for one negative say 2 positives - makes sense

btw, in case you're wondering where the ear bypass goes to, it leads to the mouth. dang teens :)

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2012
My DD is a 13 yr old, been pitching since 9. I pitched fastpitch while in the USAF and still pitch BP to my team each practice. I can throw a mean rise, drop. knuckle, change and curve and still can throw over 60mph. However when it comes to me giving my dd advice I KNOW NOTHING!!!!! Just ask her! We will be working on a rise and I will show her proper hand wrist, finger position then throw one to her so she can see the spin and one would think she would listen to me BUT NOT SO MUCH!!!! Her pitching coach will tell her the exact SAME fixes I try to give her and she listens to her coach but NOT me. I think all teen agers have a mental block when it comes to taking advice from their parents. I believe that side of their brain is cold and dark.....

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My dd is 14, she's got a good attitude when she working with her coaches. When it comes to me it's another story!...

It doesn't matter if they're 8 or 18, playing rec or TB, this is one of the most common stories I hear. Learning how to be an effective coach/instructor for our DDs can be a significant challenge.

JJsqueeze said:
But even worse-she still likes bands like R5. Despite a steady diet of good music in our car rides to games. I did get her hooked on a couple of Steve Earle songs though.

She will grow out of R5, etc. The music you're playing in the car will remain as good memories for a long time.

Sep 10, 2013
FastPitchCat ... if it is any consolation, I find that 1-to-3 points-of-emphasis is about right for a single session ... even when not dealing with your own kid.

the fewer the better. we're down to the last 3 things, but it's getting harder and harder for DD to listen to coach dad :)
hopefully, with the items on the plate winding down, it'll get better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00