Is a 29" bat...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 12, 2009
Is a 29" bat way too small for a girl 4'9"? 29" comes right to her wrist with shoes on and I've always heard this is a good way to measure. My daughter is almost 11 but it just seems like every girl her age even if they are an inch or two shorter are using at least a 30" bat. I would like to go with a 29/19 because that seems like the perfect weight but will go 30/20 if 29's too short. Please give me your input.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
29" may be a bit short. Have her demo a 30" to see how it feels. She can always choke up on the bat a bit if it is a bit long.

If your daughter is slightly built, a -10 bat may be too heavy for her, especially if the pitching she faces is quick. We had some of our kids use -12 bats, to increase their bat speed to the ball. They do make various weights of 30" bats, so have her try several.

Feb 8, 2009
I would suggest using a -12 for almost all girls your daughter's age. It's better to be a little light than a little heavy. Watch her swing the bats. You can tell if she can handle it. I'd guess no bigger than a 19 oz. 31 in.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Don't choke up. Find the correct bat. I can post some studies on choking up and how it effects the swing. We only teach choking up to slappers and bunters. The handle locks the wrist in place, without it being locked. ( Why the RT is such a good bat) you will lose power.

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
Don't choke up. Find the correct bat. I can post some studies on choking up and how it effects the swing. We only teach choking up to slappers and bunters. The handle locks the wrist in place, without it being locked. ( Why the RT is such a good bat) you will lose power.

While I agree and haven't let my players choke up on the bat either, I have noticed many of the players on the Cleveland Indians and other teams choking up 2-3 inches on their bats recently. I am wondering the reason behind this at the major league level and if the bats they are using are extra long so the net length remains the same as a bat they don't choke up on? I have used the Pro Cuts bat weights in the past, which I like in aiding the player to get bat speed increases, especially at contact, and I am thinking the choking up might help get the hands through the zone? Hmmm.

Oct 27, 2008
That is interesting on the choke up. I have never been able to do anything but weak contact hitting with doing that and is incredibly uncomfortable for me. I guess if you do not hit well you could get out with a weak grounder instead of striking out. I actual have my little finger outside the rung at the end for more whip. Not sure if would recommend it but always worked for me.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Choking up on the bat changes the perceived balance point of the bat, the perceived swing weight of the bat, and the angular momentum the batter can achieve with the bat. I say perceived because the actual balance point and swing weight of the bat didn't change, the batter makes the bat swing coverage shorter by choking up on the handle, causing the true characteristics of the bat to not be fully achieved.

So, I have found out a player that chokes up usually and I preface usually is not a power hitter for two reasons. One is that by choking up the knob of the bat is not touching the bottom edge of the bottom hand binding it up. We demonstrate this by having the hitter choke up one inch and come to the contact zone and stop...then I gently push back on the bat and they try to resist from letting me push the bat backwards. Then they hold the bat at the knob and we repeat and they can feel the difference so we get them to feel they can deliver more power through increased leverage

G

geeksworld1

hi

That is interesting. I would suggest using a -12 for almost all girls your daughter's age. It's better to be a little light than a little heavy. Watch her swing the bats.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish