IR spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
If throwing a fastball with the IR mechanics, would a a 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock be the correct rotation.

When DD gets this type of spin it generally indicates that she closed her shoulders early and is holding on to the ball past the "ideal" release point. When she does this you can see a 2-3 mph drop in speed as well.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I would suspect the position of her hand at release (for I/R) is incorrect. If you've video of her, take a peak at the ball release and see if her hand was inside the ball or behind/outside of it... Also see if there is any noticeable cupping or cocking of the wrist.

As far as 9-3... that always confuses me... and I think many have a different version. You could argue 9-3 is a screw... FROM 9 TO 3 in a clockwise fashion...

I've always taken it UP the clock. start at 9 head up and around to 3... and for a curve start at 3 and head UP and around to 9... How does everyone else do this? ;)

So is the spin sending the ball towards or away from a RHB... and is your DD a RHP...

Corlay is correct about what you're after... 7-1 ;) tilted... From 7 Up and around to 1. LOL

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
Really just starting to learn the pitching mechanics this season. Was asked to coach a 16/14u rec team and trying to learn some things. Also have,a 8yrDD that wants to learn how to pitch. Just trying to learn a few things.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar