IR questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2012
PA
I have been looking at all the forums on IR and was wondering about the release. Where is the hand at release and which way is it facing?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Bucket dad, I am sure other posters will correct me if I am wrong.

For a fastball, the release point is more or less right at the back hip.

The hand should be towards the target at the release but remember the hand in not static at release. It rotates through the release point.

For a right handed pitcher the hand rotates from pointed towards 3rd, to the plate(release point), then to the left of the batter.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Assuming the pitch is a fastball, the palm will likely face anywhere from halfway between 3B and home to home. I think exact direction it faces is a non-teach. Desired ball spin, good whip, speed and overall form are the hopeful result. Trying to force the palm to face somewhere can detract from what you really want. Sometimes feeling concepts like "start fast and stay fast," staying relaxed and loose, whipping, etc, will get you better results than trying to drill (force) exact mechanics.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
IR is actually more about how the upper arm rotates and less about the forearm/hand/palm. You use IR on every pitch except the changeup, although I suppose you use it on the backhand change but much earlier in the downswing. The forearm/hand/palm have the ability to rotate a lot more than you would think unless you actually test it. To better understand this just drop your arm down to the release point with you bicep pointing at 3rd base and see how much you can rotate the hand/palm, without rotating the upper arm.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2012
PA
Thank you all. Ill tell her just be natural.

The only other problem I am having right now is etting her out of the HE that has been drilled into her. She throws a few pitches with pretty good IR and than goes back to HE. Any drills or tips to help that? Or just reps?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
IR is actually more about how the upper arm rotates and less about the forearm/hand/palm. You use IR on every pitch except the changeup, although I suppose you use it on the backhand change but much earlier in the downswing. The forearm/hand/palm have the ability to rotate a lot more than you would think unless you actually test it. To better understand this just drop your arm down to the release point with you bicep pointing at 3rd base and see how much you can rotate the hand/palm, without rotating the upper arm.

I'd suggest that the upper arm will always IR and that the whip is benefitted by IR of the forearm/wrist/hand. The bowling method uses IR of the upper arm and little to no IR of the forearm/hand. A good whip uses IR with both.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
The only other problem I am having right now is etting her out of the HE that has been drilled into her. She throws a few pitches with pretty good IR and than goes back to HE. Any drills or tips to help that? Or just reps?

Reps are great. Start small and easy and work up to big and fast. Go here for ideas: http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/10321-i-r-classroom.html When you say HE, do you mean she pushes the ball down to release and continues the palm facing forward in follow through? Or, does she just finish/follow through with HE after a good whip with IR?

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
Thank you all. Ill tell her just be natural.

What helped my DD was to just throw. We play catch and she focusses on throwing the ball underhand (NOT pitching) and it is amazing how her form corrects itself. We do this as warm up and often use 2-3 balls at a time to get reps in in a shorter period of time.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
There is no generic answer to your question. That is because there is no generic release point that can be used for both styles of pitching and both mechanics that can be used on either style.

The release point can vary greatly depending on the movement pitch being thrown.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
IR by itself provides little or no speed to the pitch. It is IR in combination with the bend in the elbow that gives the added speed. You can employ IR with a straight elbow and get little or nothing from it. Since the only joint that can be employed with IR of the forearm is the wrist there is not a lot to be gained here. IR of the forearm is not a big factor, in the riseball the palm faces 3rd base as the fingers slide under the ball, no IR of the forearm/palm yet the rise is often as fast as the fastball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan