Interference call in the Auburn vs. UGA game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Looks like a high school game, very similar to college play. Appears to have been called obstruction on catcher. Not the clearest view but not sure I see obstruction in the video.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
How about these 2 NO calls. Happened twice in the same HS State FINAL game. My blood was boiling and I wasn't there, don't know the schools, etc. etc. No call??? Come on man!

Jun 22, 2008
While both of those are certainly obstruction, neither involve a play at the plate and are more of an example of unsportsmanlike conduct that should have been addressed immediately. I actually watched the entire game and there were several questionable plays that the officiating crew never addressed. Prior to the 2 incidents in the video, there was a play at 2nd base which I dont recall the exact details of but I do remember whatever happened it should have drawn at minimum a warning from the official, and then there was a force play at the plate where the catcher had already caught the ball for the force at the plate and was stepping up the 1st base line in an attempt to double off the batter/runner and the runner coming into home came in in a full cross body block and took the catchers legs out.

From what I have heard, the catcher in the video lost a college scholarship over it.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
From what I have heard, the catcher in the video lost a college scholarship over it.

I know the catcher in this video. In fact, she did not lose her scholly. I saw her play this weekend on my ESPN app on Roku. She plays at my Alma Mater. Good kid, bad judgement in the heat of the moment.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
I don't think contact is a requirement for obstruction here. Just needs to impede the runner, force her out of her natural attempt to reach the base, if I understand correctly.

A question for me is whether the base-runner was impeded by the catcher's presence. The catcher was blocking the plate long before she was 'about' to catch it. Her mere presence can intimidate a base-runner who sees there is no way to avoid a collision. So, is a catcher allowed to intimidate a runner (cause her to be timid by putting up a road block) when not in the act of catching the ball? Couldn't an umpire judge that this is obstruction?

I'm currently going through the NECC video and in it, catchers, waiting for the throw, are instructed to line up on the inside of the line, and up a bit, thereby forcing the runner coming home to go to the outside of the plate. So, is this legal? I'll go back and look again but I'm pretty sure this is what I saw.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I'm currently going through the NECC video and in it, catchers, waiting for the throw, are instructed to line up on the inside of the line, and up a bit, thereby forcing the runner coming home to go to the outside of the plate. So, is this legal? I'll go back and look again but I'm pretty sure this is what I saw.

Yes it is legal (and the best approach IME/IMO). Unless a runner sees and reacts to a C moving and reaching into foul territory, it is the rare exception that the runner won't be coming straight down the line in foul territory or from foul territory back to the plate. With the left foot inside the foul line (i.e., in fair territory), there should be no issue. If the catcher gets the ball before or as the runner arrives, the catcher shifts left and closes the lane. If the ball is going to be late or not thrown, the catcher steps into the field of play and leaves a completely clear path for the runner.

Jun 22, 2008
The defense can be anywhere they want, there is no rule about where they can place themselves while waiting to make a play. What they cant do is hinder the offense without possession of the ball, or while fielding a batted ball. What you are describing for the recommended position for the catcher may be perfectly fine, it may not be. Using your own description, if the catchers position "forces" the runner to go to the outside of the plate before the catcher has possession of the ball, you have just described obstruction.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
While both of those are certainly obstruction, neither involve a play at the plate and are more of an example of unsportsmanlike conduct that should have been addressed immediately. I actually watched the entire game and there were several questionable plays that the officiating crew never addressed. Prior to the 2 incidents in the video, there was a play at 2nd base which I dont recall the exact details of but I do remember whatever happened it should have drawn at minimum a warning from the official, and then there was a force play at the plate where the catcher had already caught the ball for the force at the plate and was stepping up the 1st base line in an attempt to double off the batter/runner and the runner coming into home came in in a full cross body block and took the catchers legs out.

Thanks Comp! I wondered what happened to her and if she was playing in college as I had heard she had a scholarship. I am sure she wishes she could have taken it back and all those years to lose it on the final game of her HS career.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
I know the catcher in this video. In fact, she did not lose her scholly. I saw her play this weekend on my ESPN app on Roku. She plays at my Alma Mater. Good kid, bad judgement in the heat of the moment.

Thanks OS. Ok, glad to hear she didn't lose her scholarship and most likely (assuming here) that she realized she was wrong. Big believer of second chances as these are kids and kids make mistakes. Still don't like what she did but if she regrets it and learned from it then she is A-OK in my book!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad