Interesting post by NFA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
One major factor that is left out is winter workout space. If you are in a colder climate a huge portion of dues funds indoor practice space..
Wasn't brought up because the geographical area that requires winter workout space is a miniscule % of the overall fastpitch market.

Dec 11, 2010
OK, I-80 then lol!

We are starting to have our first fall weather. I enjoy fall but I miss summer sooner every year.

The difference between I-70 corridor and I-80 corridor weather in Illinois is about 10 degrees from fall ‘til spring. Doesn’t sound like much but it’s pretty significant after slogging through the waist deep snow to the dugout (uphill both ways) all damn winter, lol

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Already had a fairly decent winter storm here 3 weeks ago with about a foot of the white stuff. Cancelled/postponed quite a few HS games in the area. Doesn't take a lot to cause that 10 degree differential either...I'm a half mile further up in elevation from the Mile High City and it's 10 degrees cooler on average (and I'm south of I-70) too.

Pretty sure that at least a couple NFA Directors have invested heavily in winter workout space.

Jun 8, 2016
Probably half of the country..
East Coast north of Georgia
Midwest...
Northwest.
If instead of geographical the word population was used that would be closer to the truth if you consider CA and TX (although indoor space is probably needed in North TX)....

Apr 28, 2014
If instead of geographical the word population was used that would be closer to the truth if you consider CA and TX (although indoor space is probably needed in North TX)....
I'd say about 40% of the softball world lives in a place that won't allow outdoor work in December and January. Just a guess but that's what I think.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Saw this on Facebook. Wow! Calling some folks out!

WARNING: LONG post but you MUST read it all. Will open your eyes!!!!!
I rarely post but tonight I just can’t help myself. As one of about 8 founding members/organizations of National Fastpitch Alliance (NFA), I am so glad now more than ever that we stepped out 3+ years ago and started NFA. Yes, I would argue that WE are the TRUE Alliance! We formed 3 years ago and we are truly an alliance of organizations that share the common goal of “Taking Back the Game”.
Wait, every team must have 10-15 players. Let’s charge every player another $45/player. Wait guys, the players payed the $300 team fee. Where do you think team money comes from? But now each team has paid $750-$1000 annually to participate in the league. LeGues are for ALL AGES. So a low estimate is 1500 teams in any given league ages 10-18 and each paying $1000 annually is $1.5 million JUST TO SAY YOU ARE IN THE LEAGUE. And there are 6 leagues minimum! That’s $9 million in somebody’s pockets. And that is the cost to be eligible to pay an additional $800-$1500 to pay in their tournaments.
Boy am I glad THE ALLIANCE is here to help the kids! Don’t get me wrong. There are good things and playing the best competition is ALWAYS a good thing but colleges recruit players. If all those same teams came to an event that NFA hosted, do you think colleges would attend? Of course. All the players are there so all the schools will be there. So if we only charge $600 entry and $10/ day gate fee which would be about $240/team. That is $840 total and no stay to play. We will figure on 6 teams per field and 1:40 games for 5 games in 2 1/2 days.
Field cost $300/day=$900=$150/team
Umpires $60/game =$300/team
Balls 1/game/team=$25/team
Arm bands/profile booklets/college coach hospitality, etc.$600/field/tournament =$100/team
That is $575/team in expenses. That leaves $265/team in profit.
These figures are high because many times fields are at no cost and cities pay groups to bring events to their area. Now think about that 300+ team event that cost $1500/team+ and profit is $925/team.
300x$925=$277,500
Now take 8 hotel rooms per team mandatory
3 nights for each reservation
$30/night to the tournament host plus comped rooms for umpires.
That is $720/team x 309 teams=$216,000
Now you understand the Business of softball!
“Take Back the Game”
Play NFA

I haven't coached in the US for about 20 years. 15 years in Europe and 4 in the Philippines. So what I am about to ask, I am no expert at. I have no experience. I too have worried about the expense to families to fulfill the dream. But having formerly scouted and recruited college players at the D1 level, I am appalled by not the organization of the softball structure, but the money/business end.

It is convenient for college coaches on a regional basis. But m I missing something? Do I need 100 Showcases to find the right player? And those programs that take on a label, like say, "Texas Gold 1", Texas Gold II", Texas Gold San Antonio", Texas Gold Houston", Texas Gold Austin". These are made up names, but I see what appears to be big organizations with a central structure, but for what purpose? To keep up with these exorbitant expenses? What is gained?

I received compensation here of $2000 per month for coaching the Women's National Team, but it was minimal because of concerns about the very small budget and equipment needs. I train the Junior National Team for free. In Europe I received a total of $500 cash for clinics. I did receive lodging and food. But as in the US, I did everything for free. I worked 6 months, and vacationed 6 months. Parents would almost complain that I wasn't charging for private lessons. So I am alarmed at the expense.

Below is a link to a video which raises another concern. I see this camp and wonder of what use it is?
Most of the players have a very low skill level, or lack of body control. I saw very few players who were recruitable at the D1 level. I saw some that could probably play DII and DIII. Which brings up the next question -

I see such poor execution or skill level. Do they every teach anything? They follow up with a group skills sequenced video with names. And yes, you can see the "haves" and "have nots" pretty quickly. But there are girls who could improve, for at the very least their club teams benefit, or perhaps a grasp at D11, D111 or JC level. And it would help those girls for D1 that just lack polish. But is there anything offered? I know they do private videos, but I am sure that private video costs a chunk of change.

One last thing! At the ASA Gold Qualifiers, the 300+ coaches were focused on about 6 programs. There were another 6 or so that got some attention. But there are 60+ that were seldom if ever seen. I remember watching one game with only the Notre Dame coach sitting with me. Another had the Oregon State coach. I watched what I thought was the best player in the tournament, from New Hampshire believe it or not, and no one but me ever saw her. No one recruited here. I had the coaches contact number, but family issues and a divorce caused her to move and get lost. I never found her. But as a 2nd Tier program, I was in no position to waste my time on those top 6 teams. I was looking for "diamonds in the rough". Ms. New Hampshire was not a rough diamond! But most coaches are looking for the most polished, complete package including "student athlete". So again, what good does a camp like in the video do for a player who has low skill level, body control issues, or poor academics? Essentially every year, there will be about 1,500 or fewer girls who are recruited by D1 schools. How many of those girl's and their family's dreams are realistic in these videos? Maybe that money would be better spent on the debate team or room and board.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying