Interesting investigative story on IOC from Real Sports on HBO

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2014
I feel the same about the World Cup after seeing their report a while back on the corruption in FIFA that allowed Qatar to get it in the first place, and how they are using slave labor to build the stadiums.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I'll have to check that out. Seems like having a multinational organization to govern something opens things up to serious corruption and with no public oversight these organizations can run amok.

The IOC relationship with China and their former head's opinion on how effective and smooth it was doing business with an oppressive regime that can quash dissent easily was chilling. Beijing being given the winter Olympics despite not having any mountains within 150 miles made a lot more sense after watching.

More western cities are bowing out of the bidding process and I hope that trend continues until changes are made. People should not be displaced from their homes in order to build facilities for a one time event, that would never stand in a first world democracy, but in China and Brazil it has happened on a scary level. And forced labor should not be used to build the facilities but was in both China and Russia. The IOC conveniently turned a blind eye.

Jul 5, 2016
Until the Olympics are all about the athletes and less about how fancy a show the host country can put on, this will keep happening. And more and more, cities where the citizens have a voice will not want to be a host city. The IOC should chose cities that can host the Olympics without having to build new facilities. The 1984 Olympics in L.A. worked out pretty well because L.A. already had plenty of sports venues.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Until the Olympics are all about the athletes and less about how fancy a show the host country can put on, this will keep happening. And more and more, cities where the citizens have a voice will not want to be a host city. The IOC should chose cities that can host the Olympics without having to build new facilities. The 1984 Olympics in L.A. worked out pretty well because L.A. already had plenty of sports venues.

Nothing new in the Real Sports report. The IOC is a self-serving organization that countries should just stop supporting. As is demonstrated annually, every sport has championship events without the need for the IOC which is why I wasn't overly concerned when softball was dropped

And these cities are scared to death of the IOC. Why, I do not know. For the 1960 winter olympics, after the award and during the preparation of the venue, the Squaw Valley contingency just told the IOC there would be no bobsled run simply because they refused to spend the money and time to build one. What was the IOC going to do, pull the games after committing to the venue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd