Interesting article: Senior week or State playoffs?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
This is one of the things I thought about this spring as my DD finished Middle School. My DD's High School does a senior trip that costs $500 for 5 days that starts the day of the Section quarter-finals. Her school's softball team has never made it past the quarter-finals, but she'd want to be there for her teammates.

As other's have said, if you make a commitment to a team, its a commitment until the last game is played.

Apr 20, 2015
Wow just wow. My daughter would never even consider abandoning her teammates like this.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2016
Kids today want instant gratification and all to eager to please parents are creating spoiled individuals that will have a hard time functioning after the parental free ride ends. If it ends..
First hand experience, we had a kid at National's phone in her performance so she could go to an amusement park with the blessing of her fair weather parent after our last game. I wondered why they even came to the game but realized that the park was 20 minutes away.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The commitment to the team and the teammates is the first thing that popped into my mind. Someone mentioned that if the trip was planned well in advance (perhaps with a deposit), leaving the team may be warranted. I guess I could understand that, but I would hope that this was communicated to the coach well in advance. If making the playoffs was a surprise, it should have at least been mentioned at the beginning of playoffs. That said, I'm quite sure my DD would have asked to skip the trip in order to stay with her teammates and finish play. And DW and I would have backed this decision. In fact, we both would have been disappointed if she would have chosen the trip...

I agree completely that most college coaches would not be happy to hear about this. If either is committed to a college program, hopefully this decision does not hurt their chances. As a supervisor of 300+ associates at various different levels, I can tell you for a fact that this type of decision making would hinder an employee's upward mobility. At least in my operation.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
In our HS, we have a trophy case for each sport side by side and then, up above them, all of our regional, sectional and state plaques. All of those plaques are arranged in years so you can see what classes did exceptionally well. We have another wall for all of the conference championship teams. We have yet another wall that has the athletes/team pictures for each year of that year's school year. For example, my golf team's picture has been up all school year.

In the softball trophy case are no hitter balls and perfect game balls with the pitcher's name on them along with the year, team defeated and score. In that display case are pictures of all of the All State Players and their All State Plaques. Finally, there is a display of school records in those various sports. When you go inside that entrance to the gym, you have to walk past the softball case. My daughter's perfect game and no hitter balls are in there. Her picture from being All State is in there. Her records are on display. High School balls does have some pretty neat perks.

May 27, 2013
My dd’s HS team couldn’t even enter our state tourney this year as our senior co-captains and a couple of other players decided to go away on a trip. We were the second seed and would have made a decent run. It really stinks for the kids who are dedicated and work hard year around for their sport, just to have their season cut short due to the actions of their teammates - in dd’s case, the girls who were supposed to be the leaders on her team.

Jun 8, 2016
I think this may have been a missed "teaching moment" for these kid's parents about how when you are an adult many decisions that you make not only effect you, but also other people that you care about.

Jun 11, 2019
It's just school ball, nobody cares about the school team. It's a break from travel ball from Feb-May, a time for the kids to play on a team with their school friends who they haven't played on the same teams with since they were 6-8 yo and hadn't started travel ball yet.
The colleges scout their travel teams, nobody pats attention to high school ball, most the kids are playing the wrong position because embodies mom can work BINGO nights more often or another kid's dad is a big booster and donated some PA speakers or usually because the science teacher who is coaching the team doesn't know that so and so, who is only a 9th grader, is already verbaled as a SS but this 12th grader who, may go play at some JC, has put in their time and helps the science teacher grade papers so the freshman plays outfield or is just used as a pinch runner.

Unless it's Norco or some other D1 powerhouse coached by travel ball coaches....its just school ball

Feb 3, 2016
Its HS ball, no big deal, they're not skipping PGF to go to the beach, which is coincidentally, held at the beach.
I'm not a huge supporter of HS ball but I think it's the commitment aspect that rubs everyone wrong. If you go out for a team you need to honor your school and teammates by being there. I'd be embarrassed if my kid pulled that crap.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish