Inside out hitting- Even pitches down the middle..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 20, 2021
Hi there, anyone have any advice on how to correct one of my hitters? I can't figure out what the problem is. She has a great swing, but no matter where the pitch is thrown, she hits it to the right side (RH Batter). I thought maybe this was a timing issue, but she does it off of front toss as well. Ideas?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hi there, anyone have any advice on how to correct one of my hitters? I can't figure out what the problem is. She has a great swing, but no matter where the pitch is thrown, she hits it to the right side (RH Batter). I thought maybe this was a timing issue, but she does it off of front toss as well. Ideas?
* she has a great swing...
Is she a good hitter?
Making solid contact?

Sep 20, 2021
* she has a great swing...
Is she a good hitter?
Making solid contact?
Yes, she has a mechanically sound swing. Contact is solid maybe 3/10 times, still all to the right side. I understand opposite field hitting is a good thing, however most of the time it is ground balls to 2B or weak pop ups.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Yes, she has a mechanically sound swing. Contact is solid maybe 3/10 times, still all to the right side. I understand opposite field hitting is a good thing, however most of the time it is ground balls to 2B or weak pop ups.
Age?
Years experience?
What is her batting average? Compared to the rest of the team.

it's not necessarily bad to be a good contact hitter all the time like that inside out. we had a player like that at Long Beach State and she was an asset because of it.

This is something where a visual video can really help for feedback.
Otherwise it's just going to be a plethora of hypothetical suggestions.

Jun 8, 2016
Result doesn't sound like something comes from a mechanically sound swing.I bet if you look at her bat head at contact she never gets to extension eg she has lag at contact. Could be a number of different reasons for that.

Post her swing in the hitting forum..I am sure you will get lots of opinions 😂

Sep 20, 2021
Age?
Years experience?
This is something where a visual video can really help for feedback.

Otherwise it's just going to be a plethora of hypothetical suggestions.
16 yrs. Played for at least 6 yrs. I can try to get a video, was just looking for suggestions or ideas, not necessarily trying to put a 16 year old on blast for hundreds of people to critique her swing.

Jun 8, 2016
not necessarily trying to put a 16 year old on blast for hundreds of people to critique her swing.
Unless she is seeing the critiques why should that matter (and even in that case at 16 she should be able to take constructive criticism)? That said I can understand that if it isn't your own kid you wouldn't want to post without permission of the parents.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
1)She has a great swing,
2) but no matter where the pitch is thrown, she hits it to the right side (RH Batter)
#1 can't go with #2

Need video, but just spitballing that she is pushing her hands to the ball (her back elbow is pushing away from her torso). This forces the bat head to 'lag' behind the hands (and stay there), forcing the ball to the right.

Take a video of her. At contact, her back elbow will be well away from the body, and the bat head will be well behind the hands.

Also, look where she makes contact. You should be generally make contact at the ball of the front foot.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
16 yrs. Played for at least 6 yrs. I can try to get a video, was just looking for suggestions or ideas, not necessarily trying to put a 16 year old on blast for hundreds of people to critique her swing.
Understandable about video.
That is why I only use certain videos under people's authorization.

So this is a long-term player and her batting average is?...

Without seeing it a lot of times it's because a player is pulling the knob across their chest/torso too close to the body.

There can be different mechanic suggestions. Heres one.
Look to see how far away the knob/hands are from her body.
Obviosly The bat angle seems to have some lag.
Consider if the hands were farther away from the body and not pulling across the chest that she could get around the ball a little better.
Think Barrel first and through.
Not pulling knob with barrel trailing.

Also oftentimes an inside-out swinger will have disconnection between their upper body and their lower half. Consider making sure that she is turning her hips so her Barrel can get around and through.

Jan 24, 2020
Where on the bat is she hitting the most balls? If it is off the handle/connector area then she is probably getting her hands too far from her body, if off the end then she may be bailing out slightly either with the initial step, or her upper body later in the swing.

The 3/10 times solid contact you mentioned, does that mean liners to the gap, or hard grounders to 2nd? There is a big difference there and may affect some of the advice here, I mean I'd take 3/10 doubles and call it a win.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414