Initials etc on bat - legal modification?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
I was planning on using oil based paint markers to put DD's initials and or a message on her PC - since there will be 3 of them in the dugout next week.

Is it illegal to put any paint on the barrel itself? I wanted to put a message on there... rather than on the handle.

Jan 27, 2019
I am not aware of any rule that says you cannot write a message on the bat. As an umpire I would rather that not extend beyond the taper. I think this may save you some headache with an umpire that either knows more, or less about the rule than I.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
I don't see why it would be an infraction to write on the barrel if it weren't over done. An umpire might make up a rule to fit (er... interpret a rule differently), but if there are several of the same bats on the team, then she shouldn't have a problem using someone else's for that game. If they don't enforce helmet customization, which seems far more a safety issue, then I don't know why they'd have an issue. Now, if your DD is in a rhythm, and the ump stops the at bat to inspect the bat because he saw something weird...

I've never written on the bat, but I've used pink duct tape near the grip on my son's bat to distinguish his from others and had no problems.

My DD's bat, there are 3 exactly alike on her team, I re-gripped with a lizard skin grip, and they have an option where they will custom print a name and number on the finishing tape at the top. Now it's all kinds of different.

Oct 24, 2010
[USA] 3.1.H Altered Bat. [...] Identifying the bat by means of laser marking, engraving, or painting the name or number of the player will not make the bat an altered bat.

I wouldn't mark the name on the barrel... wears off too fast.

Dec 15, 2012
DD “lost” a brand new XENO 33/23 at a camp she attended in 7th grade to prepare for Varsity tryouts. Ended up making Varsity and a week later I found that her XENO was now a 33/25.. DD had no idea that this was not her bat..... had to purchase another 33/23 XENO. Was an expensive camp to say the least. She now marks each of her bats with red electrical tape at the top of the grip. Good times.....