Infield fly rule question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Bretman, I would tend to agree if I had read and remembered the question before reading your post. Amy and I pointed out details and exceptions, and also the proper calls. But in retrospect, your post was to the point of the question.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Bretman, I would tend to agree if I had read and remembered the question before reading your post. Amy and I pointed out details and exceptions, and also the proper calls. But in retrospect, your post was to the point of the question.

Steve,

That is part of the problem with the rule. Well, not the rule, it is pretty simple, but people trying to find loopholes that just do not exist. There are no exceptions other than the IDB rule. There could be a thousand "what if" questions and the response is going to be the same, the rule simply determines that the batter is out.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Steve, That is part of the problem with the rule. Well, not the rule, it is pretty simple, but people trying to find loopholes that just do not exist. There are no exceptions other than the IDB rule. There could be a thousand "what if" questions and the response is going to be the same, the rule simply determines that the batter is out.

Well, I do not agree with you. And I think you are simplistic to a point of avoiding your error in evaluation. Yes, the fly ball if fair, the runner is out, caught or not! The runner's are not forced.

The base-runners do have to tag up as on any caught fly ball situation fair or foul. This was his or her question.

When foul, if the ball is dropped, it is a "dead" ball, no out. The original post asked if you needed to tag up. That would imply a need for clarification. Tagging up on a fair infield fly is one issue. A dropped infield fly is another issue, and does not constitute "jeopardy". A foul infield fly is another issue. A dropped foul ball is not an infield fly, and that is another issue. ONLY a caught fair infield fly and a caught foul ball in this potential situation are a similar issue.

There is nothing wrong with this clarification. There are no "what if's", nuances, or interpretations, or "loopholes". I have never seen a loophole in this rule. Why do you trouble yourself with correcting the correct? Now I did misinterpret Bretman's response because I forgot the original post. I apologized for that. I do not apologize for making the rule clear. And Amy's point is also noteworthy! So drop it please, you are getting annoying.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
On this board, we respect both MTR and Bretman, because they are very experienced umpires and post on many boards. I do not want this post to become even more argumentative, so I am closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
christian_softballdad3298