Infield Fly rule in 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
In my opinion sometimes it is called when it should not be and sometimes it is not when it should be, we only have PU which I think sometimes makes it hard for them. The runners/ fielders need to know what to do regardless of the call, I wasn’t bashing the umpires, for the most part I like our umpires.

(If you think it is hard to teach the players, try exampling to some of the parents what happened. :))

Last edited:

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
A question for the umps. Do you adjust your thinking on what constitutes "ordinary effort" based on the age group and level of play? Seems like that might be the real difference. What is reasonable at 14U could be extraordinary effort at 10U.

Jun 22, 2008
Yes, what is ordinary effort for an 18 gold player is not ordinary effort for a 10U rec player.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Yes, what is ordinary effort for an 18 gold player is not ordinary effort for a 10U rec player.

I have a good example of your point. Last year in 10U we have 2 girls on @ 1st and 2nd, with 1 out. Batter hits a medium fly ball to RF that drops between the 9F and the 3F just past the edge of the grass. Field ump calls infield fly.

I understand what he was thinking, but at 10U, that ball had zero chance of getting caught and should not have been called.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I have a good example of your point. Last year in 10U we have 2 girls on @ 1st and 2nd, with 1 out. Batter hits a medium fly ball to RF that drops between the 9F and the 3F just past the edge of the grass. Field ump calls infield fly.

I understand what he was thinking, but at 10U, that ball had zero chance of getting caught and should not have been called.

...in your judgement.....

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
I feel infield fly rule at 10U "C" division should not be called. First, is any pop up a given to be caught at this level? Not around here it isn't. Second, how many true pop ups that would warrant this call would actually happen at this talent and age level? Again, hardly any for a whole season around here. It's kind of like an error at this age group. If the girl gets on base, mark a hit in the scorebook. "Ordinary" effort? Nothing is at 10U "C".

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
...in your judgement.....
Yes, mine and everyone else's, including the opposing teams coach who got in an argument with that same ump later in the game on another bogus "infield fly". A ball that goes 30 feet in the air and 75 feet down the line is not an infield fly for 10 year olds. They only player that has ANY shot at it is the 9F and that would be on a dead run with a good jump on it. Don't rob a hit from a kid just because they aren't playing 18 gold yet.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Yes, mine and everyone else's, including the opposing teams coach who got in an argument with that same ump later in the game on another bogus "infield fly". A ball that goes 30 feet in the air and 75 feet down the line is not an infield fly for 10 year olds. They only player that has ANY shot at it is the 9F and that would be on a dead run with a good jump on it. Don't rob a hit from a kid just because they aren't playing 18 gold yet.

To start, the grass has nothing to do with an IF. The fact that it is even mentioned is suspect.

If the umpire rules an IF, that means s/he believes that infielder COULD field that ball with ordinary effort. If an infielder does not catch it or doesn't make the effort does not negate the IF ruling. I guarantee that if the defense turned a deuce on your team, it would be a different story.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
Like I said, I'm all for the call when its called consistently. Rules are rules. However, with it being a discretionary call, it seems to be everything but consistent. Then again so are a lot of other rules... (look back rule). I guess that's just part of the challenge of the game. Like it or not. The rule isn't inconsistent its the call..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs