Infield Fly rule in 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
Is it necessary to enforce the infield fly rule at this level? In my opinion it is a discretionary call. Some umpires call it every opportunity they can and some never call it. Any opinions on this call?

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
I understand the black and white but if the player never puts herself in position to make the catch could it be a no call?

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
I tend to see it enforced more when there is an obvious talent difference between teams. May not be the case but just when I notice it more.

Jun 22, 2008
The rule is intended to protect the offense, not as a gotcha out. If it is determined by the umpire to be catchable with normal effort it should be called every time. What would your opinion be if an umpire didnt call it and the defense managed to turn a double or triple play because all your runners were holding because of the fly ball?

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
Very true... I agree with enforcing the rule within its intended form. However I see some umpires call it and some that don't. More times than not, I am glad its called especially against sound defensive teams.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
The rule is the rule. My experience is that good umps call it correctly and bad umps don't. IOW, it doesn't get called correctly very often because most of the umps in 10U and 12U are either new or incompetent. Consider yourself lucky to have one good ump on the field at 10U.

Jun 24, 2013
While I agree the umpires call it inconsistently you need to start it at some age group. What I have found is that if you are lucky the coach talks about it but they never practice it. The players are magically supposed to understand the rule.

At this age a dropped infield fly rule called ball is almost always a mess, no knowing where the ball or runners are going to end up. That is the coaches fault for not teaching the players.

We have some 11/12 YOs that play for the first time and they have the same trouble with the rule as 9/10 YOs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand