Infield Fly rule in 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Like I said, I'm all for the call when its called consistently. Rules are rules. However, with it being a discretionary call, it seems to be everything but consistent. Then again so are a lot of other rules... (look back rule). I guess that's just part of the challenge of the game. Like it or not. The rule isn't inconsistent its the call..

Again, what do you find inconsistent? Each event can have different parameters, just going up in the air above the infield does not make it an IF.

When I saw this play, I immediately knew what the call was and why. That is probably because as an umpire, I see and analyze plays differently. Though the talking heads took a while before they finally caught on to why it was called.

This call was based on: 1)the fact that the SS never turned his back to the infield; 2) SS never really ramped up to full run, but just seemed to be cruising (ordinary effort); 3) stopped and squared up for a catch. That is when the call was made and the only thing that caused the ruckus was the ball not being caught.

Is it routine for an infielder to take a pop-up like this into the outfield? Sure is. Is there consideration given to the level of skill assumed at this level? Hell, yeah, this call isn't made at any other level of baseball. Might get call in a slowpitch game simply because the infielders play deep.

It also doesn't get called if this isn't a 6-umpire crew. Only because there was an umpire on the LF line with nothing better to do than watch this play and the ease with which Kozma is executing the play was the call made. If the ball was caught, nothing would have been said. If the LF picks up the ball and throws out one of the runners, the Braves would be pointing to the call as a great and fans cheering instead of demonstrating their lack of class and maturity.

My point is that every pop-up when the infield fly rule is available is different and consideration must be given to every factor and that can vary from game to game, even team to team.

Jun 11, 2013
We once had it called retroactively. Had R1 and R2 no outs. A little popup behind F4. Our runners actually held but ball bounced between F4 and F9. Runners took off F9 threw to F6 and the girls actually tagged her. After a conference HP ump said IF fly rules should have been called and called batter out. Of course we argued we only ran because they didn't call, but to no avail.

Jun 22, 2008
We once had it called retroactively. Had R1 and R2 no outs. A little popup behind F4. Our runners actually held but ball bounced between F4 and F9. Runners took off F9 threw to F6 and the girls actually tagged her. After a conference HP ump said IF fly rules should have been called and called batter out. Of course we argued we only ran because they didn't call, but to no avail.

Thats the point of the rules allowing it to be called retroactively. If the umpire did not call it and it put the offensive team in jeapordy it can be called retroactively and the runners can be put back. Im not sure I can see how the umpire could justify calling the IFF after the fact and also allowing the out at 3rd.

Jun 11, 2013
It can't be called retroactively. It has to be called while the ball is in the air to protect the runners. Either they call it and my runners know they can stay or if they don't call it my runners have to go if dropped.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
It can't be called retroactively. It has to be called while the ball is in the air to protect the runners. Either they call it and my runners know they can stay or if they don't call it my runners have to go if dropped.

As Comp noted, the rule can be applied after the fact. The rule is clear, the batter-runner is out if the infield fly is in effect. If the umpire fails to make the call and then realizes the error, the umpire must provide relief to either team that was put into jeopardy by the delay in the call. In most cases, any runner which advances safely, retains that base. A runner which is put out is returned to the base from which they believed they were forced.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs