Indiana Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What happened in Indiana? Indiana is leading the Big 10--almost as if they acquired a Big Dog pitcher from the West Coast.

Guess what? They did! Morgan Melloh is originally from Indiana, but played the last three years at Fresno State. At Fresno State, she compiled a 90-35 record, with more than 1100 strikeouts.

The IU Web Site says she moved back to Indiana for her senior year to be closer to her family.

Wow...I wish I could have been a fly on the wall when Morgan called Michelle Gardner (IU's coach) for the firs time.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2009
Yes. What happens next year? She and the other senior sensation Olson will be gone and the rest of the pitchers who are now soph/freshmen probably haven't pitched an inning all year. Rude Awakening there.

Apr 13, 2010
Yes. What happens next year? She and the other senior sensation Olson will be gone and the rest of the pitchers who are now soph/freshmen probably haven't pitched an inning all year. Rude Awakening there.

Exactly. While the pitcher that is winning games in Minnesota is just a freshmen and luckily stayed with the program after the coaches got let go. New coach this year and new pitcher and the team that was supposed to be dead last in the Big 10 again is in the middle of the pack.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The Fresno State coach, Margie Wright gets a bad reputation, sometimes. I always knew her to be quite competitive. I played against her and coached against her and we went to college together. She is from a little town south of Decatur, IL. She has the most wins of any coach in the nation, I think. Did Fresno State release Melloh? Did she have to sit out a year?

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Indiana University Athletics - Softball All about her. Only one pitcher not a senior . Murphy ,but IU has many in the recruiting pipeline. As a IU grad they have

Lora Olson from Ill in 2012, yes another Olson ( sister)

Miranda Tamayo from Southern Ca in 2012 who plays for one of the top high school teams in the Nation.

Miranda Tamayo, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.)
She led the Monarchs to a victory over Santiago, the previous No. 1 ranked team in the state, and allowed just three hits in a complete game shutout. The 4-0 win in the championship game of the Santiago Spring Fling tournament moved up the Monarchs to No. 1 in this week’s state rankings

http://www.eteamz.com/strikeforce18G-Guerra/

Note she plays on this 18U gold team and IU has recruited her team mate that is also highly regarded player.

And yes my dd would love to play for this coach and has them on her list ,but that is a couple of years away yet.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
They do have others pitchers, but why change a good thing? Hutch in Michigan is doing the same thing. I don't think either team will have a problem next year or beyond.

And yes my dd has IU on her list too - LOL

Jun 17, 2009
SB - dd's shoulder is Good (but she doesn't pitch - LOL) - graduates 2013 (so we have time). It is a gorgeous campus - went last summer on the way to nationals in KY..

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Melloh has had an interesting ride since her senior season in 2007, when she led Hamilton Southeastern to a 31-0 record and a state championship.

Out of high school, she had scholarship offers from dozens of major programs and committed to Louisville. But it all dried up when she couldn't meet the academic standards. In high school, she was diagnosed with attention deficit disorder and it almost ended her chances to play collegiate softball.

Louisville pulled her scholarship offer. Fresno State, along with a junior college offer, were her only options. Fresno State, as Melloh explained, had a well known ADD program and was willing to work with her and help her gain admittance. Just prior to the start of classes her freshman season, Melloh was granted a waiver by the NCAA that gave her immediate eligibility.

Next season, Melloh will serve as an IU assistant coach while she completes her degree work with a major in general studies and a minor in criminal justice.

"Watching all the girls condition in the fall and watching them practice I'm sure will make me miss it, but I had my time,'' Melloh said. "I've had nothing but good memories about my college career, and playing at IU was the perfect way to end it.''

From the Indy star.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs