Increase pitching speed help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
From what I am observing through study of various high school/travel pitchers this year and looking at them in high speed slow motion perhaps the greatest potential for increased speed lies in slight alterations in mechanics relating to the position of and release sequence of the the upper body (shoulder, upper arm, elbow, forearm, wrist and fingers). Notably pitchers whose throwing shoulder did not continue to lead the way after heel plant but quieted to allow the rest of the arm to whip through seemed to throw hardest. I am going to work mechanics with my DD (who is only league 9) before I consider strength training or weighted balls. I think more speed potential is found in trying to uncover the mechanics of those who seem to easily throw hard.

lhowser, I agree. Pitchers that throw hard with little effort are the result of high efficiency in their motion. They use every point of resistance in the chain to whip the ball through at release for maximum velocity. On the hitting side, a five frame swing is used as the standard of getting the bat to the ball. On the pitching side, I believe the three consecutive frames starting where the arm is at the 7 o'clock position, then 6 o'clock and lastly at 5 o'clock indicate the whip necessary to throw the ball at or over 60 mph with spin to make it move, IMO. Toggle through with Quicktime or RVP of the high level pitchers and all of them can get this three frame motion of IR. The pitchers I work with that are throwing 47 - 52 use four frames to get through this area of the motion. lhowser, keep us updated with your progress in finding the "greatest potential for increased speed lies in slight alterations in mechanics relating to the position of and release sequence of the the upper body (shoulder, upper arm, elbow, forearm, wrist and fingers)." I believe you are looking in the right direction.

Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
Here's a drill that Rick Pauly demonstrated at a clinic.
Pitcher stands flat-footed in an open position relative to the plate. Another player stands near her ready to hand balls to her. The pitcher then commences to use only her windmill to throw 12-15 balls in rapid succession, as fast as the balls can be handed to her and as fast as she can windmill them. Emphasis is maintained on each ball as to quality arm circles (relaxed, extended, slight bend at the elbow), on proper location of release point close to the hip (swish the hand's heel by the pants leg), and on orientation of the hand thru the IR zone. I will stand nearby yelling out comments such as "faster, harder", "line the windmill up with the power line", "follow-thru", etc.
If I have 3 players that I'm working with, I'll have them do this in succession and 3 reps each. After they finish, they'll be arm weary and breathless if they do it well.
Don't remember what Rick called it; I call it Rapid Fire.
jim

Jul 7, 2010
I have seen high school girls workout/pitch with the red cannon ball. NO ball is too heavy with proper mechanics.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I have seen HS coaches who have no clue. Just because there's a coach in the room doesn't mean he knows what he's doing.
NO ball is too heavy with proper mechanics.
I don't know that I agree with that, but I am in the school that believes you have to be careful with pitchers and mixing in weighted balls.

This from a guy who developed DD's throwing skills with a weighted ball, but that's another story......

May 7, 2008
regarding weigted balls. I beleive most documented evidence calls for a sequence of heavy/regular/light ball throwing 2 x per week for a period of 6-8 weeks yeidls results. MArc Dagenais has a routine that he recommends and There is one in the Cheryl kemp book taht is very similar. BOTH say heavy is plus 20% light is minus 20% or about 1 - 1.2 oz. Throwing hard with really heavy balls is an invitation to disaster!

Other keys to increased speed are increased core strenght, increased strength in the hamstrings and butt, and explosiveness training to turn that strenght in power. You will see most college level athletes lifting to increase pitching speed.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I believe that nothing will improve speed more quickly than good mechanics. Good mechanics will place most any pitcher in the median of their age group. Here is what one published report observed:

Age Average Pitching Speed Top Pitching Speed
10u 37-41 MPH 43-46 MPH
12u 44-47 MPH 50-53 MPH
14u 46-49 MPH 52-55 MPH
16u 50-53 MPH 54-57 MPH
18u 53-56 MPH 58-61 MPH
College 59-64 MPH 65-72 MPH

i suggest not worrying about weighted balls, exercises, weights, repetative drills or anything else if you are not easily on the top end of average for your age. If you are not...it's mechanics. Fix the mechanics. Understand what part of the pitching mechanic speed in generated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish