Incidental contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2012
On defense. Runner on second, ball hit between pitcher and short up middle. Ball is well hit, not blistered but well struck. SS broke and R2 has broke on pitch. SS 3 steps smack into R2. No call. I call time ask FU why no interference and he says incidenta,l appeal and PU says same. Now I know of incidental on thrown ball carrying D into runner. On batted ball I've never heard incidental only obstruction or interference. Now if he had said uncatchable OK may not agree but judgment call tough luck. How do the umps here call or what/how do u judge uncatchable and based on my description how would you call it.

Jun 22, 2008
The only place I recall in the rule book where contact is nothing is when a thrown ball, the runner and the defensive player all arrive at the same place at the same time. In a situation such as that it is neither obstruction or interference.

In the situation you describe, the umpire must judge if the ball was playable by the shortstop or not. If it was playable, then the runner should have been called for interference, if it was not playable then the call should have been obstruction.

May 13, 2012
Thanks comp. Kindly what I was thinking. My view point couldn't tell playable or not, but with short taking that many steps that hard she must have felt she had a play. I will say the umpires over three days was great. Zones same both teams and they kept play moving best they could with coaches playing the clock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse