In ASA am I allowed to protest a game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
By protest I mean the umpire(s) made a wrong rule decision. We agree on all the facts of the situation but I think the umpire(s) made a rule mistake.

Nov 29, 2009
Most times it's meaningless to to try and protest. The only place where they usually follow through with a protest is at a national qualifier or national tournament. Most tournaments say no protests, the umpires decision is final. If you're playing in a round robin there's no use.

Describe the situation and the folks here on the board can tell you if you're right with the rule.

Jul 26, 2010
Like Sparky Guy said it's usually defined in each tournaments rules supplements.

If protest was allowed, it has to be protested after the call that you want to protest and both score books have to be documented as such, you can't protest in hindsight.

-W

Nov 29, 2009
Once the play is called foul it is over.

You are correct and this is just one of many bad calls you'll see made. If I remember correctly, this is a 10U rec team? Usually you don't get the best umpiring at that level. It's one of the things you have to deal with.

If you go into the rules threads you'll find examples of umpires making mistakes and making up rules as they go along there. It's part of the game. FYI... It happens all the way through college. You'll find good and bad umpires. The good ones you'll hardly remember because they make officiating the game look effortless. The bad ones you'll always remember.

If you have a good umpire you might tell 1 or 2 people... maybe... If you have a bad umpire you'll tell 10 people about how bad they were in great detail. It's human nature. We love to complain..

Jul 26, 2010
Quincy had the right intent, a protest can only be made if the manager believes the umpire mis-interpreted a rule. A judgement call cannot be protested.

It's very rare that this actually happens, but not unheard of. Infield fly rules or lookback rules might be areas that can be protested more then most, as they're probably most often mis-interpreted. I'm not saying that umpires don't make bad calls, just that bad calls have nothing to do with the protest mechanism.

-W

Jun 22, 2008
Protesting judgement calls such as if a batted ballis fair or foul is not protestable, however, once the umpire yelled foul, the ball is dead and it cant be changed. If he did in fact change his call from foul to fair I believe there would be justification to protest the call.

Jul 28, 2008
You have to protest before the next pitch. Read Rule #9, especially sections #1 and #2 for what can be protested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy523