Improving Speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My DD will be a freshman in the Fall. She was timed at an exposure tournament this weekend, home to 1st at 2.9. My question is this - do girls pick up much speed between 14 and 16 or 17? She's 5'2", 110 lb. She's pretty much finished with puberty, so we don't expect much weight gain and only another inch or so in height. She's working with a trainer to improve her strength and running mechanics.

What have others' experience been? Thanks.

Oct 25, 2009
You're already doing the most important part. That's working with a trainer. That's assuming, of course, that the trainer is using modern techniques specific to softball. Very important!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I was wondering if your HS has a good track program.? Raven Chavance (sp?) at U of TN. is 2.6 down the line and she ran track in HS, instead of playing softball. She is currently trying out for the USA team. Her dad is easy to find on message boards. He is "gonein2.6."

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
You are on the right track. Hard to tell , but her body will change based on family genes. My dd was timed at the queen of diamonds at age 14 two years ago at 2.84. I have heard of faster times, but that was the second fastest time the college coaches recorded. I guess it is like all the pitchers that throw over 60 . She has stayed at 5" 3" and 105 lbs. She is now faster, because she plays softball 12 months a year and soccer has her constantly running. She is taking the PEP program at our local sports clinic. I would suggest you take this if you have a girl active in sports. Since they started it 2 years ago, not one kid has had a knee injury here. Howard Carrier (hitter) and others on team USA all suggest this as many on that team had knee injuries. They test you and then you go thru a program to build up those muscle groups that are weak to prevent injuries.

Last edited:
May 25, 2010
^^I like the sound of this. Because mine is so young, I don't think about it now, but once she starts approaching 11-12, I'll really need to make sure she's doing the things necessary to protect those knees.

Jan 15, 2009
IME my DD was faster as at 13 lost speed at 14 and more at 15 then started getting it back at 16. Plays softball year round and swam two years for the High School so she is in pretty good shape. Best guess is that some kids go through body changes that may change their speed temporarily until they settle out in their adult frame.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I hate to clutter a softball discussion with facts and logic. But, here are the girls Junior Olympic Track and Field records for the 100 M dash by age:

10U - 12.85
11-12 - 12.10
13-14 - 11.73
15-16 - 11.34
17-18 - 11.1

You can see a steady improvement as kids get older.

Assuming your DD gets the proper training, my guess is that she should be able to get down to 2.7 or 2.6.

Of course, your DD needs to develop her bunting and slapping technique. My DD#3 had a time of something like 11.1 seconds home to first, but, believe it or not, she drag bunted successfully a couple of times.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Thank you all very much for the responses. I just wanted to set our expectations. She had a goal to get below 3.0 by her junior year and it looks like she's there. 2 years ago she was at about 3.3-3.4. She'll need to set a new goal. I wasn't sure how much maturity would affect speed for better or worse.

Her trainer works in the same Sports Medicine facility as her physical therapist and they consult each other. I'll ask them about PEP as she's already had a torn meniscus she spent the winter recovering from - no surgery, thank goodness. We'll keep plugging away. Thanks again.

Jan 25, 2011
this is a good thread,my dd needs to build up some speed,and not to sound stupid but what is this PEP,and where do I find the info on it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619