importing model swing into kinovea (conver animated gif to avi)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
does anyone know of a good way to import any of the model swing clips (they save as animated gif files) into the analysis software, kinovea? i searched high and low to find a converting program, but i continue to strike out. the closest program that i found was banner maker using the convert gif to avi function, but the avi file played back as a still picture. the software did properly play the gif file, so i know that it's good.

any help would be great!

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Thanks for the recommendation, but I couldn't make it work. The gif file opened in movie maker and appeared to be 7 seconds long, but when played it was a frozen frame. No success publishing it either. I'll dig a little more with movie maker though.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
awe man... i don't know what's up. i just tried another file and had the same results. maybe i'm doing it wrong. i'm running windows 7 with windows live movie maker 2011 which doesn't appear to have an import feature. it does have a button "click here to browse for videos and photos".

here is a screenshot. the video is 5.3 seconds into 7 seconds with no movement. it is a little strange that both of the gif files came up as exactly 7 seconds long. i hope this can work as i've struck out on a million different freeware programs.

movie maker.jpg

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
it looks like all pictures import at 7 seconds in length. it seems that the software sees the GIF suffix and is treating it as a picture. still not sure what to do though, should i change the suffix to AGP for animated giff?

Sep 26, 2011
There is a free program online called VirtualDub. Within this program you just open a gif video that you have saved to your computer and then "save as" avi...I am not very tech savvy, but it was easy to do.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Thanks for the programs. I was able to work around the issue by using a program to break the gif images from the animated gif and then combining the images in windows movie maker. I set the frame delay to 0.03 seconds which was the lowest setting. I was only able to put together one swing comparison, but it worked out.

By the way, I just found an older copy of windows movie maker on another computer (version 5.1). I had no problems converting the animated gif into a wmv file. Don't know why they pulled the feature from the 2011 version, but I could see that I wasn't the only one having an issue with it. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loudee16