I'm not sure if i want to play anymore

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Tuff decision to make at your age I'm sure. Getting to the source of your change of heart is important IMO before making your final decision. My DD informed me yesterday morning, 2 hours before bracket play that her stomach didn't feel well and she didn't think she could play!! My DD has always loved softball and plays well enough that she landed a spot on a new team that plays at the highest level(SS/Pitcher). I told the coach we couldn't make it. If my DD says she's too sick to play softball she must really be sick. Long story short, As the day progressed she didn't seem sick but she did seem like something was bothering her. We talked for a while and she told me she wanted to QUIT the travel ball team but keep playing HS ball. After 3 hours of breaking down walls we found out she felt responsible for some of the teams losses because of errors and the pressure was getting to be too much to handle. Worrying about making errors was making her physically sick. For me, this is NOT a reason to quit. This is part of growing up and learning to deal with feeling that seem overwhelming. We convinced her to keep playing and we would find a better way to deal with those feelings and overcome them. Now we have to find out exactly what to do to help her along. Anyone?
To the OP, you should finish what you started and hold off on making a decision until you can identify exactly what it is in you that wants to quit playing. Most coaches are very open to discussion if you have an issue, but just saying "I don't want to play anymore"
without any reason won't start a meaningful conversation with the coach. Dig deeper. Good luck

Jul 25, 2013
it's summer and my schools season just ended. My heart isn't in it anymore. I begged my mother to let me quit during the season. She didn't and I continued to dislike it. I started playing for my school last year and hated it all the way through. I've talked to my parents and my mom says I can quit but my dad was mad when he said I could quit. I have a strict coach and are close friends with a lot of my teammates. I am really shy and it doesn't take much to get my nervous. The older girls intimidate me even though they don't mean too. My coach is someone who will talk about you when you decide to do something. I really want to quit but my parents have told me that I would have to tell my coach about me quitting and turn all my stuff in. I don't know whether to quit or not. I reallyyy don't want to play. Please help.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would STRONGLY suggest you not quit in the middle of the season. You made a commitment to your coach and your teammates and you need to honor that commitment. After the season you will have a couple of months to evaluate your priorities and you can decide if you want to continue to play or if you want to hang up your cleats before next season.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
ladycat, I had a baseball player much like you. I don't know your year in school but he was a sophomore. He needed a break and was playing for his parents. I think you are too. You have to play for yourself and all of the fun you have with your teammates. Keep in mind that next year, you will be a year older and so the makeup of the team will change. Think of those that return and do you have a good time with them. Disregard the coach if possible because you have survived the worse from the coach as you have progressed beyond your first year with the coach. When you weigh all of that, do you enjoy being with them regardless of what happens on the field?

I asked this question of the sophomore and he said that beyond everything else, he loved being around the game and his buddies. He said that he really would not know what to do all spring while they were practicing. I asked him if he thought that with work, he might be a starter? He said he thought he might. I then told him we'd make a deal. Take as much time as he needs to decide and come in and talk to me again. Long story short, he came out, started, had a blast. He did not play during the summer at all and missed the game. When he came back, he wanted to play for himself and not his dad. From a coaching standpoint he was a different kid.

May 10, 2010
Do not get me wrong I believe in commitment to your family, friends, religion, and yes even a sport. But how far do we as parents enforce commitment to a sport. When the sport or hobby becomes a job that changes things in my book.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Mcdonald11-

You do realize that you just asked a bunch of crazily competitive softball parents if a daughter should quit softball don't you? We are the LEAST qualified people on the planet to council you in this decision. If you go to a church I would encourage you to talk to your priest/rabbi/pastor and also get advice from some others in your family. I find that aunts and uncles, as well as grandparents are great resources for this type of stuff. When all is said and done, you have to play for yourself, it is just a game and when it becomes a job it is time to take a break.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
Mcdonald11-

You do realize that you just asked a bunch of crazily competitive softball parents if a daughter should quit softball don't you? We are the LEAST qualified people on the planet to council you in this decision.

Aint that the truth!! My only advice would be to NOT quit in the middle of a season, that's crap and not fair to your team/class mates. Wait until the season is over and "take a break", if you don't miss it, then you'll know you made the right decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd