Illegal pitching? A survey

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Are these pitchers illegal?

• Yes, all are illegal.

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Some are illegal, some of the time.

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • None are illegal. No rule violations.

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
Mar 13, 2010
Bill, I have a great interest in and respect for your opinions and views on the whole IP issue in softball today. This is a hypothetical to be sure, but what, if anything, would you like to see changed in the IP rule to make the game a better (more level/fair?) game for both the pitchers and the batters?

Mar 13, 2010
IMHO the pitchers we saw would gain much more of an advantage by working on their mechanics instead of replanting.

Bill, I know you have no problem with crowhopping with the philosophy that pitchers should take every advantage they can until they get called on it. But, with officials seemingly more conscious of it, is it reasonable to ask pitcher like the ones we saw in the videos to have the control to be able turn the degree of replant up or down at will? I would guess that a pitcher such as yourself can pull it back if you need to, but can a 12yo, 14yo? If she learns to crowhop and commits that to muscle memory, how hard will it be for her to turn it off when she runs into a picky official?

Picky official? Respectfully, this sounds more like a good umpire who's calling the game by the rules, as they are written, to keep the game fair for both teams.
As an umpire, at the competitive travel level we seem get an earful from coaches when they feel we're not calling IP's; and when we do call them we get the argument that "she's perfectly legal and we're taking the game away from the players." Perfect example was in a a tourney at that level that I worked this weekend (a national qualifier for one of the "alpahabet" sanctioning bodies) two HC's ejected over arguing IP's. (Yes, I had one of the ejections).
I will say, that so my during my college season, I've encountered none of that from any of the coaching staffs when I've had to call IP's. (I could very well have just been lucky in that regard.)

Apr 2, 2010
Picky official? Respectfully, this sounds more like a good umpire who's calling the game by the rules, as they are written, to keep the game fair for both teams.
As an umpire, at the competitive travel level we seem get an earful from coaches when they feel we're not calling IP's; and when we do call them we get the argument that "she's perfectly legal and we're taking the game away from the players." Perfect example was in a a tourney at that level that I worked this weekend (a national qualifier for one of the "alpahabet" sanctioning bodies) two HC's ejected over arguing IP's. (Yes, I had one of the ejections).
I will say, that so my during my college season, I've encountered none of that from any of the coaching staffs when I've had to call IP's. (I could very well have just been lucky in that regard.)

My apologies, FPump. Poor choice of words on my part. The IP's should be called. Perhaps I should have phrased it as "when she runs into an official who is not going to overlook it." Thanks for calling the games for our girls, Blue. I know it's much harder than we parents think it is.

Mar 13, 2010
My apologies, FPump. Poor choice of words on my part. The IP's should be called. Perhaps I should have phrased it as "when she runs into an official who is not going to overlook it." Thanks for calling the games for our girls, Blue. I know it's much harder than we parents think it is.
Sweet...no apology necessary. Appreciate the kind words.
Thnx

Aug 21, 2008
Bill, I have a great interest in and respect for your opinions and views on the whole IP issue in softball today. This is a hypothetical to be sure, but what, if anything, would you like to see changed in the IP rule to make the game a better (more level/fair?) game for both the pitchers and the batters?

FPump, thanks for the kind words. What would I like to see changed? I'd like to see one of 2 things happen: either we go back to corkballs and wood bats (which will never happen since too many bat/ball companies are sponsors). Or they remove the antiquated rules for pitchers and let them do what they have to in order to catch up. It's insane to me that one side (offense) has allowed technology to change everything, yet the rules for pitching remain the same. Fastpitch has always been a game where pitchers work hard and scores have been low. Now days, that's not the case. And it's not because hitters have gotten better, it's because equipment today allows bad hitters to compensate and fly balls are now homeruns. Yet, if the pitcher tries to do ANYTHING to regain the advantage, they are called illegal. Yes, I know I'm biased on this. Parents often complain about wanting more "offense" in the game, that strikeouts are boring. Meanwhile their DD is playing soccer, basketball, volleyball, cheerleading, etc. while this pitcher is working her a$$ off in the gym year round. Then they wonder why their DD can't hit? They don't want more offense, they want it easier for their little princess to hit.

If one side is allowed to evolve with the use of new equipment, then the other side should be allowed to evolve too in order to compensate. ISF recently changed the rules to allow hopping off rubber but still require 2 feet on the rubber to start. At least they are waking up a little bit to it all.

Bill

Jul 17, 2012
I agree with JC heir! Replanters! And the 1st video was a step backer which is illegal. The sad part is these girls are putting in a solid effort to pitch, going above and beyond to get better. But at some point they are going to get called on it and be devestated because they were plowed to do it so long ( probably no fault of their own ). We (as a softball community) need to have VERY CLEAR GUIDE LINES from our local leagues that are in step with the umpires. This would turn out better pitchers and save a lot of "discussion" on the field! Dewski.

Jul 17, 2012
If anyone has some clear verbiage regarding the legal pitch. Please pass it on, I'm in hopes of getting our league and local organization on the same page to move our girls on with the right tools while they can still be taught be right way. I believe we should use the standard of the Olympics and college softball, lt these girls be inspired to the highest standard nd not weaken their hand with a method that gets them by for now and work on the right way later, tats a cop out and coaches that truly care about the development of the girls and the sport will demand some solid guidelines on this topic. I know I've been throwing overhand for 40 years from a pitching "mound" and am in the learning phase of this beautiful windmill thing, your help is appreciated! Have a great day!!!

Jul 17, 2012
Never considered the erosion from prior foot drags as a possibility for no contact with the drag foot and a possible IP. I will be mindful of that inspect the pitching circle prior to my girls games. Thanks for the insight!

Jul 17, 2012
AMEN!Agreed! Dig a little deeper parents keep a open mind and learn the proper pitching rules and mechanics. True it takes some time and patients but you will help your child more than you know.

Feb 29, 2012
I don't know if this happens in tournaments at all, but I remember years ago playing in many ASA modified fast pitch tournaments that each team had to have their pitchers throw for the umpires before the start of the game. They would identify the ones who threw illegally or who were borderline. They would explain what was wrong and have the pitcher try it a few times. The umpires let everyone know before the game what was illegal and that if they threw that way in the game it would be called. My team had a guy who just couldn't comply and didn't participate and another who was borderline who got called several times in games.

Does this happen in the girls tourneys? I think it would make sense or perhaps there could be a pitchers conference before the start of the tourney to review the rules, check the girls out and explain why they are in violation. This would reduce (in theory) the number of complaints during the games if an IP is called because it would have been identified and explained prior to the game.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26