Illegal pitch scores run

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Ok I read the rules about an illegal pitch, Batter gets a ball and runners advance.

Our situation. Ump opens package and tosses new ball to our pitcher who takes the new ball and rubs it in the dirt. Spins it against her thigh and delivers the pitch. Dead ball, Illegal pitch, runners on second and third advance. In a single elimination state game top of 5 tied at 0. This was the first illegal pitch this young lady has had called this year and it wasn't even the pitch but the dirt issue.

Runner on second, Batter lays down a bunt and scurries to first inside the baseline. She is making a beeline for F3. DD scoops up the ball and fires to first and hits BR in the back. Safe at first, ball careens into foul territory, runner on second scores. Coach nearly ejected as the girl is clearly inside the base line.

There are things I like about HS ball but being eliminated this way bites. We should have hit the ball better to not be in that position but we were. Ok, I've vented and now on to TB.

Jun 22, 2010
Ok I read the rules about an illegal pitch, Batter gets a ball and runners advance.

Our situation. Ump opens package and tosses new ball to our pitcher who takes the new ball and rubs it in the dirt. Spins it against her thigh and delivers the pitch. Dead ball, Illegal pitch, runners on second and third advance. In a single elimination state game top of 5 tied at 0. This was the first illegal pitch this young lady has had called this year and it wasn't even the pitch but the dirt issue.
That's an IP; the pitcher can rub her hands in the dirt and then go to the ball, but can't rub the ball in the dirt. That was an official interp in 2013 (situation 5 at that link).

Runner on second, Batter lays down a bunt and scurries to first inside the baseline. She is making a beeline for F3. DD scoops up the ball and fires to first and hits BR in the back. Safe at first, ball careens into foul territory, runner on second scores. Coach nearly ejected as the girl is clearly inside the base line.
How far down the line was the batter-runner? Was the throw on target?

Jun 22, 2008
Situation 1, technically yes it was an IP, but as soon as the pitcher started rubbing the ball in the dirt the umpire should have removed the ball and given the pitcher another and never let her throw the one she had rubbed in the dirt. For future reference, the pitcher is not allowed to apply anything to the ball or rub it in the dirt.

Situation 2, did the batter/runner actually get in the way of F3 receiving the ball? Was it a good throw and on line to F3? If it was a good throw and the batter/runner interfered with F3's ability to catch the throw, then yes it should have been interference. If the throw was off line then no call was correct.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
An experienced umpire would not be taking balls out of the wrapper during the game. They should have been prepared and taken care of business before the first pitch of the game.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD says her pitcher does not like a brand new ball out of the bag she was trying to take the new off it. I assume sort of like what they do to baseballs before using them. DD (F2) will not allow that again.

The runner was hit about 10' in front of the bag and actually brushed the F3. I'd have to say she was taught to run right at F3. Coach almost ejected arguing the no call.

1 ball was lost, fouled off into the woods. Thus the new one.

I'm over it now. TB starts next weekend and DD has some college interest. I'm good.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
An experienced umpire would not be taking balls out of the wrapper during the game. They should have been prepared and taken care of business before the first pitch of the game.

Show me anywhere where it states the umpire is responsible for "preparing" the balls for play. For that matter, some pitchers like balls directly out of the wrapper, others dont. If balls are hit out of play during the course of the game and no other balls are available there is no choice but to bring in new balls.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Show me anywhere where it states the umpire is responsible for "preparing" the balls for play. For that matter, some pitchers like balls directly out of the wrapper, others dont. If balls are hit out of play during the course of the game and no other balls are available there is no choice but to bring in new balls.

How about a minimum of 5 dozen before every MLB and Minors game with a specific mud from the Jersey side of the Delaware river? The basic duties of an umpire include having whatever is required on hand to perform their job. Having to pull new balls out of a wrapper in the 5th inning with runners on base during a state championship game is pretty bush league. The pitcher should have tossed it right back to him and said no thanks.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
At a minimum there should have been a supply of balls already out the the wrapper for a state championship game. Could have admonished her, taken the ball back, and given her a new one. Sounds like the ump was a real tool but if you want to make excuses for bush league officiating then post away. Bottom line is it never should have gone down that way. I find it interesting that before most HS games the umpire gives new balls in wrappers to pitchers to warm up and the first thing they do is rub them in the dirt.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad