Illegal pitch scores run

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 2, 2013
No brand new ball should be entering the game in the 5th inning. The ball should have been worked into the game earlier. I have asked coaches to rub up new balls if we are running out and it looks like one may be put into play. If I get two new softballs to start the game and the pitchers haven't already warmed up with them, I put one into play and the other goes to the 1st baseman to get worked in. Then I take that ball back. I prefer pitchers to throw strikes and I prefer to avoid pointless illegal pitches.

Nov 1, 2013
Doesn't the Home team provide the game balls at HS games????? That is how it works in the HS games in the Pacific NW where I do games.

Summer TB tourneys the game balls are provided by the tourney director.....umps get them as they walk onto the field. And extra balls come from the tourney management

Riseball......I have NEVER seen umpires sitting there rubbin up the game balls. Have YOU seen it done in your area?

We usually get 2 balls to use and if one gets lost or damaged....they give another one. If is new and unused....we can rub it up a little.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Doesn't the Home team provide the game balls at HS games????? That is how it works in the HS games in the Pacific NW where I do games.

Summer TB tourneys the game balls are provided by the tourney director.....umps get them as they walk onto the field. And extra balls come from the tourney management

Riseball......I have NEVER seen umpires sitting there rubbin up the game balls. Have YOU seen it done in your area?

We usually get 2 balls to use and if one gets lost or damaged....they give another one. If is new and unused....we can rub it up a little.

No have not seen them rub or prepare them prior to the game. I have however seen them drop it to the dirt and kick it around. My point was that a competent umpire makes sure they have what the need for the contest. As Umpire said in his post above:

"No brand new ball should be entering the game in the 5th inning. The ball should have been worked into the game earlier. I have asked coaches to rub up new balls if we are running out and it looks like one may be put into play"

Under no circumstances should they be taking a ball out of the wrapper in the middle of the inning with runners on base. That is screwing with the integrity of the game. Would they toss a soaking wet or mud covered ball into the game? On a foul ball that hits the backstop they examine it carefully to make sure it is fit for play before chucking it back to the pitcher. But it is fine to take one out of the wrapper, knowing it is slicker than deer guts on a doorknob and put it in play? That was bad enough, but to follow it up with a "I know the rule book" gotcha IP call is beyond the pale.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283