Illegal pitch rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2018
Attached video of a 14u game, USA rule set.

6A section 1D is pretty clear, "while on the pitcher's plate, the pitcher shall take a signal or appear to take a signal with the hands separated."

Further, from the April 12th, 2019 USA Softball Rule Plays and Clarifications:

"they must step on the pitcher's plate with the hands motionless for enough time to take a signal or simulate taking a signal. The pitcher then must bring their hands together for not less than one second and not more than 10 seconds. This could be a very short period and meets the definition of taking a signal if the hands are motionless."

This is probably the #1 illegal pitch infraction I see. Also the #1 illegal pitch infraction I see not getting called.

It's an easy fix for the pitcher, just take your sign on the pitcher's plate. Most collegiate pitchers do.

From a game management perspective, I get why a lot of umpires don't call it, but in club play it should be called on my opinion.

End of rant.

https:s//youtu.be/sZnHEwKzTIo

Oct 24, 2010
This is probably the #1 illegal pitch infraction I see. Also the #1 illegal pitch infraction I see not getting called.

Agree. Call it early.

It's an easy fix for the pitcher, just take your sign on the pitcher's plate. Most collegiate pitchers do.

Agree. Maybe pitchers are pitching as they practice. Listen to instruction, step on and go.

NCAA went through several rule changes designed to require pitchers to take or simulate taking the signal while in contact with the pitcher's plate and to get umpires to enforce it. What you are seeing now is required by rule. A deviation you might see is that the pitcher gets the numbers from behind the pitcher's plate, but is not allowed to look at the arm band unless she's in the pitching position.

Oct 11, 2018
This was definitely an illegal pitch. Pitcher stepped on pitcher's plate and did not simulate taking sign. USA and other sanctions allow taking signal before stepping on the plate, but the pitcher still must take or simulate taking a sign when she steps on.

Collegiate rules are different so you shouldn't confuse the 2 sets of rules.

But your claim that the pitcher in the video pitched illegally is accurate.

Jun 22, 2008
Someone at USA softball inserted their own personal interpretation into that rule clarification about the hands having to remain motionless. Nothing in any rule or case play says anything about the hands having to remain "motionless" while a signal is being taken. I believe that may be a rule in international that the pitcher must stop for 2 seconds before making a motion to pitch, but it is not in any other ruleset.

This wouldnt be the first time that USA put something out on their clarifications that was personal opinion and had no basis in rules.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
agree with @Comp in fact if she is taking a signal and referring to an armband she almost assuredly is NOT motionless, nor is she required to be.

Feb 25, 2018
Looks to me like she takes a signal before stepping onto the pitching plate, then steps onto the pitching plate and immediately brings her hands together to get her grip.

Based on no appearance of taking a sign while her hands are separated, I've got an illegal pitch.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The pitching rules are a total mess for no good reason.

There is plenty of blame to go around, but most of it lays at the feet of the NCAA rule set who change things for no real reason primarily driven by coaches (which forces other orgs to follow), and USA Softball who have been kicking the can down the road for years on leaping/crow hopping/etc. All the other orgs in one way or another follow changes that these two orgs implement for a variety of reasons.

It is an easy fix - step on the rubber with the hands separated, bring the hands together, and at separation the pitch starts. As long as the pitcher, batter and umpire are ready, let the pitcher pitch. This would take out about 99% of the grey area that lives in the rules today about pauses, and 'fake taking signs' and a bunch of other unnecessary garbage.

As an extra note: Expect 'leaping' to be approved for college shortly. The annual rule survey came out recently and there was a bunch of 'matching international rules' questions asked and how 'leaping' wasn't an advantage (which it clearly is) but crow-hopping/replanting is (which it also is but it is never called). It was VERY clear which direction they want to move in by how the questions were worded.

Feb 25, 2018
The pitching rules are a total mess for no good reason.

There is plenty of blame to go around, but most of it lays at the feet of the NCAA rule set who change things for no real reason primarily driven by coaches (which forces other orgs to follow), and USA Softball who have been kicking the can down the road for years on leaping/crow hopping/etc. All the other orgs in one way or another follow changes that these two orgs implement for a variety of reasons.

It is an easy fix - step on the rubber with the hands separated, bring the hands together, and at separation the pitch starts. As long as the pitcher, batter and umpire are ready, let the pitcher pitch. This would take out about 99% of the grey area that lives in the rules today about pauses, and 'fake taking signs' and a bunch of other unnecessary garbage.

As an extra note: Expect 'leaping' to be approved for college shortly. The annual rule survey came out recently and there was a bunch of 'matching international rules' questions asked and how 'leaping' wasn't an advantage (which it clearly is) but crow-hopping/replanting is (which it also is but it is never called). It was VERY clear which direction they want to move in by how the questions were worded.

Agreed.

The leap rule should go away for NCAA, high school and youth;
men/boys can leap as can women in international play. Makes no sense to not let the other levels leap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414