idle threat, or real possibility?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
i have coached my dd's team for 4 years now. i'm getting worn out (i also coach my son's baseball team - see my post "how do you do it???" if ur interested in more info) so we started looking for a new team for my dd and several of my core group of 12u girls that i didn't have to manage. we decided to hook up with an existing team for a fall league (no tourneys) and agreed to treat it as an extended tryout. at first i was told they had enough coaches, then was asked to "help out", and now i'm running the first year 12U team. our agreement was that our affiliation and my coaching/managing is for this FALL LEAGUE ONLY, and any family who wants to move on after the leaque is over may do so with no repocussions. each girl did have to sign a non-compete agreement (i won't play for any other fastpitch team as long as i'm on this team...) and coaches had to sign an agreement stating they wouldn't recruit any of the players for other teams until the league is over. pretty standard stuff, so no problems so far.

now the organization is growing extremely fast - taking over other teams in all age brackets. sounds like a good idea, just not something i want to be a part of, but i'm happy/willing to fulfill my obligation to the team for this fall w/o any complaints.

now here's the concern...my dd's pitching coach and two other college coaches started a fastpitch program and are putting together a first year 12u team and asked my dd to come and try out for the team (this just solves a ton of problems for me!). the director of the organization we're currently with just informed all managers/coaches yesterday that anyone caught trying out for other teams this fall will be terminated from the team and blackballed from all asa, nsa, and usssa tournament play. do they really have that kind of power? we're willing to forego any practice with the new potential team until fall play has ended, but really need to try out. now i'm afraid to even bring it up to our director for fear of retaliation. we spoke with the dd last night, and she is willing to take the boot off the fall team if it comes to that, but we're concerned about tournament play. any thoughts?

btw - the fall league we're currently in is not sanctioned in any way, so call it a rec league (however it's all travel teams involved). not sure if it matters.

Oct 18, 2009
where are you from? in the NY/NJ/CT/PA area i don't see how any organization could enforce the tournament play ban or even have the authority to do so if you are on another team.

however, if she is your dd's pitching coach... does she really have to go to a tryout? If you've been going to her for some time she already knows how your dd throws and quite possibly already has a good idea how she plays.

you should also consider the possible relationship strain between dd's private pitching coach becoming your dd's travel head coach. i've seen it crumble a pitching coach/player relationship if the girl just wasn't as good as the other pitchers on the team and wasn't getting the innings the parents expected. fair or unfair the coach also may be a little harder on her own students just to avoid even any sense of impropriety from those players/parents who do not go to her for pitching lessons. they may not affect you at all. just things to think about.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Fastpitch: In the NY/NJ area, the previous poster is spot on. There is just no way to enforce any type of ban. DD's team played in ASA/PONY/USSSA events this past season. Does not seem to be much overlap in administration of these organizations.

The advise on played forthe PC should be given some thought. What happens if DD is not getting the innings in the circle you believe she should be. You may then need to find both a new team and a new PC. Teams are easier to locate than a good PC.

Just my $0.02.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
the director of the organization we're currently with just informed all managers/coaches yesterday that anyone caught trying out for other teams this fall will be terminated from the team and blackballed from all asa, nsa, and usssa tournament play.

No one has that kind of power. Anyone who makes that kind of statement is an idiot and an a**hole. Run, don't walk, away from that guy.

Apr 8, 2010
appreciate the responses. we are in the mw (st louis region). i'm just deathly afraid of being blackballed...

on the pc issue, those are very good points and we'll have to discuss those with her.

Non-compete.... pullllllleeeease. Coaches have their contracts, and I have my own for my daughter that THEY sign or she doesn't play for them. Its nothing ridiculous. Basics are stats, attendence and attitude earn players spots. Top 9 take the field on sundays. If my kid is dorking around, she sits or I sit her myself. Thats mainly to let the coach know he has my permission to do it without us becoming postal. Dorking around doesn't mean having a bad day, it means picking flowers or walking to her position like she owns the field. And to sum it up, if her team is not playing on a weekend, she is free to play as a guest player for any team, anywhere if she wants. My daughter wants a hard nose aggressive coach, not a rec coach and demands them give as much as she does. Its not us, honestly - its her. The coaches really want her on the team, and its never been an issue, but if she was ever "fired" because of it, she would be picked up in half a day by ten other teams. If she wants a weekend off, its up to her, but if she wants to be in the dirt playing, I'm going to make sure she can. She is now 14 and just made an 18A team that is very good with all the girls and advocates girls playing as guest players on off weekends because it just makes them better. If they get hurt, its just the gamble. No coach has the right to say your kid can't play.

Jul 21, 2009
I think players in our region are only allowed to be signed with one team at a time. If they want to play as a "guest" player for a weekend for a 2nd team, the 1st team needs to sign some form "releasing" them from that team. I *THINK* if a player is signed with more than one team, then they would be "illegal" for the tournament and not able to play. Is it possible this coach was saying he won't "release" a player temporarily?

Jun 26, 2008
Vermont
Non competes and blackballing U12 players ... yeah that's a program that's REALLY interested in the kids, right? The whole purpose of travel teams, summer ball, Little League, ASA, PONY, NSSSA ... whatever ... is for the kids to get a chance to play. Anyone who thinks they have to protect their teams from infiltration is not out for your DD's welfare. As someone else said, run don't walk. Even if this J.A. has any influence outside of his own program, you probably won't have any problem finding other programs who are willing to ignore the blackballing.

This would be ridiculous at 18U, it's just plain stupid at 12U.

The PC issue is worth a discussion with the PC in advance - give the coach a chance to chime in.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
I think players in our region are only allowed to be signed with one team at a time. If they want to play as a "guest" player for a weekend for a 2nd team, the 1st team needs to sign some form "releasing" them from that team. I *THINK* if a player is signed with more than one team, then they would be "illegal" for the tournament and not able to play. Is it possible this coach was saying he won't "release" a player temporarily?

That's pretty dang easy to resolve with a phone call to your state association rep explaining the situation. The association rep can get it done if need be. Though from what I know of the association reps from my state, it more than likely end with a phone call to the jackwagon asking why they are chosing to hold a childs eligibility status hostage.

As Sluggers said. RUN don't walk away from that megalomaniac. Count your fingers and toes on the way out to make sure you got away clean with all your pieces parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes