Ideas for pitching in garage during the long cold off season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
Hey all - looking for ideas for a garage set up for pitching. We will have about 20 feet to work with. Something that she can throw into without denting the drywall - tarp or carpet and how and what do you hang it by,etc. leaving a car outside is not an option so would need to be able to take it down or un hook it somehow.

Thanks!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We use a tarp, about $10 and some rope about $2. A few I hooks in the ceiling.

Tarp kills the ball so she is not going to break anything.

I think the trick is to set it up were she can practice on her own, I guess you might need to move the car if you are not adventuris.

A Bownet is a good option too.

(Even DD can hit a big mouth Bownet from 20'. I think so anyways)

Last edited:
May 13, 2012
Little elaborate but for my basement. Steel wire spring loaded into block wall one side just inside of garage door top.and bottom. Other side of door bracket attached to joist and cable hooked to eyebolt. Cable is below gage door when open but a over cab of truck. Lower cable has eyebolt attached and 1/4" hole in concrete. Cables are strung thru tarp. Back truck out. Close door. Pull tarp across like shower curtain and insert bottom eyebolt with attached cable into floor. Bungee cord top bottom to middle of tarp and no more beat up garage door. Send me a pm with email and I will send you some pics.

Jun 12, 2015
We have a Jugs Instant Screen. It's not cheap but we love that thing. We use it all the time, especially with how easy it is to fold it up and take it places, like to tournaments to hit into.

Nov 3, 2012
Hey all - looking for ideas for a garage set up for pitching. We will have about 20 feet to work with. Something that she can throw into without denting the drywall - tarp or carpet and how and what do you hang it by,etc. leaving a car outside is not an option so would need to be able to take it down or un hook it somehow.

Thanks!
I had an old single mattress laying around. We throw into that. I painted a rectangle for a strike zone to throw to.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
Little elaborate .
:D

Just a little bit! And it sounds really cool!

We have an old mattress behind a bownet, and a pitching mat.

Sidenote: Some physiotherapists believe that constant, repetitive pounding into concrete can create serious risk of injury to the spine and/or hip areas. I will not preach my personal beliefs, but will offer that anti-fatigue mats or old carpet under pitching mats are probably a comfortable idea and not as expensive as MRI's and Bone SPECTS.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
Awesome and creative ideas! Thanks guys - I love the mattress idea and would have never thought of that. That's why I love this forum ��

Oct 2, 2015
We set up a 10x10x24' Networld batting cage in one stall of our garage. @$360 total
I set up 1/8" aircraft cable guy wires from the garage door to the back of the garage. So we can slide the cage back and forth when we use it.
We need to back our truck out when we use the cage for batting, when I set up the pitching machine. (~25-27 mph, along with slow toss)
As for pitching, we push the cage back against the wall and the youngest DD can throw into that.

We also set up a Networld 10x10x10' cage with one open end, in the basement. @$180 total
I also set up 1/8" cable runs in the basement 1' below the ceilings, so we can slide the cage back and back when not in use.
We hit off of the tees and pitch into it.
For a cage in the basement, I highly advise using 25-45 lb weight plates to hold the end of the cage down that you are pitching and hitting into.
And oh ya, remember to put pillows over the weight plates..the balls ricochet pretty good when they hit the plates :D
As soon as the Xeno's start to sound off in the basement, the cat goes runnin' to beat hell!

We have 3 Rukket nets also. But if they miss the net when they are hitting and pitching....it gets a little interesting. :D

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
:D

Just a little bit! And it sounds really cool!

We have an old mattress behind a bownet, and a pitching mat.

Sidenote: Some physiotherapists believe that constant, repetitive pounding into concrete can create serious risk of injury to the spine and/or hip areas. I will not preach my personal beliefs, but will offer that anti-fatigue mats or old carpet under pitching mats are probably a comfortable idea and not as expensive as MRI's and Bone SPECTS.

Low back and knee (landing foot) are what take the most beating pitching in cold weather places like gym's... concrete... etc.

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd