What Were Your Best Bang For Buck Purchases

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
For tournaments: collapsible wagon. Gets all the crap from the car and back
For backyard practice: big mouth bow net. Great for tee work, throw downs and soft toss as well as making nice with the neighbor (keeps the softballs out of their garden). Accept no substitutes.

Jan 25, 2014
Best bang for the buck? For me is road cones picked up on the road for free good durable tees. Also leaf net for pool makes a great batting cage I bought a 30 by 50 net for $ 150 .

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Good solid REI chair with warranty, Preferably mesh-back with two cupholders.
Skilz sports umbrella, way more versatile than dragging the popup unless you travel with a pack.

If you do get a popup, go with a brand name. Quik-shade and EZ-Up will last longer and be easier to operate than Costco junk.

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
Gotta get some type of pop up canopy or shade umbrella !!! The wagons are great too. Buckets, balls - , TEE get a tee and use it. Great hitters use the Tee, net of some kind. Rip it face mask too.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
1) Big Mouth Bownet
2) Bownet pitching screen replacement
3) 1 dozen TCB heavy balls baseball size
4) 2 dozen TCB Holey Balls softball size
5) 2 Tanner tees
6) 2 Dozen Dudley Thunderheats with leather cover
7) Fold up portable wagon
8) E-Z Up 10x10 pop-up
9) 6 gallon ball bucket with padded lid and an Easton sleeve that goes over it

The pop-up finally gave up the ghost after 4 years of TB tourneys so I bought another. The 2 dozen Dudley's will get me and the team through a year of TB practices and hitting then they are relegated our indoor hitting facility buckets. Some of them that are in there are probably 3 years old and being hit almost constantly so I won't use any other ball. IMO nothing beats Tanner Tees...enough said about that. The TCB balls are another thing used almost constantly and they're going on 4 years old.

The worst money I spent IMO was the golf ball sized TCB holey balls. I used them maybe 4 times and refused to use them again outdoors. Although they are great for practice, they have a tendency to hide in any length of grass other than a putting green or fairway. They are also dense and will fly about 100 feet if hit well.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
I have a new one to add.
Semi-private hitting lessons with the head coach at the local D1 University. She has been absolutely amazing with what she has done with my DD's swing. These adjustments have not only given her more power but have given her even more confidence in her abilities. Having a D1 coach high-fiving her after she hit the 10th ball in an hour out of that D1 stadium was a moment she and I will never forget. Walking into the winter camp and having the D1 coach come out and tell her how glad she was to see DD's name on the list was also great. But seeing DD's new "swag" (D1 coach's word for confidence at the plate) is worth all of the money and miles. By far the best money ever spent.

Apr 28, 2014
I agree with the lessons. One on one lessons are the best investment you can make.
My kid pitches and for me the Glove Radar was the best equipment purchase we have made. I can asses her delivery by having speed readings.

Dec 11, 2010
With Black Friday coming maybe it's time to chronical our equipment hits and misses!

Here are mine: Hit: Like the Backspin Tee. It is added to Tanner and the Oscar Miller tee.
Miss: Tried a portable batting cage one summer. Liked it but it was a lot of work. Also an A-Frame pitching screen. Solid but heavy. Had to go. Sold quickly.
Hit: Zepp Swing Analyzer

Traded my Jugs Junior for a used Hack Attack Jr. Hit! Prefer it and would bite the bullet on cost if I was doing it all over. They show up on swap sites and Craigslist every once in awhile at a reduced price. They don't sell well, three wheel machines aren't what people are used to seeing so they tend to be a buyers bargain. We actually don't use it much. BUT, if you are going to buy a machine, buy this one.

Best bang for the buck to me is still lots and lots of bargain softballs, found on Craigslist etc.

Also don't recommend a bunch of one type of whiffle. Get a dozen TCB Holey, a dozen Jugs Bulldog Softball size and a dozen baseball size Jugs Bulldog In the yellow color. Mix them and learn how to throw them mixed. You can thank me later for that tip, lol!

Another hit: bats from each Coresoftball. Check with him before buying. You will be glad you did in every way.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Blue flame has been great for DD.

I can pitch but lazy,reps reps and more reps.

Tennis racket is #2, get laughed at. Guess who is best outfielder?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles