IBM presents...You Make the Call!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
My guess is the winning team was already up a few runs, the game was over and the ump decided to shorten the game. The team this call went against won 19-8. The coach is even quoted saying they think the ump wanted to go home.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Did anyone catch the tag play at second in ut sc game. Ut tagged underside of runners cleat before the bag. Safe was the call and replay showed otherwise. Good example of honest blown call and they happen. The video has to have something else going on for it to missed that bad.

Yup, saw that one. I was pretty surprised, but I was rooting for SC (and Jessica) so it didn't bother me overly much. :)

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
It wasn't a competitive game. I think the score was 9-0 when this happened.

There was an umpire arrested the same day in another town for being drunk and calling a game. It wasn't this one surprisingly

Jul 31, 2011
When I watched that video it brought back memories! DD was called out just like the girl in the video- DD foot had already landed on the ground passed 1st base when the throw arrived and the ump called her out. The call in the video was only slightly worse.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Mike, was that a local game or a big name tournament?

If it was a local game, it is possible the ump's brain simply couldn't register a girl able to run as fast as your DD runs. Who is he going to believe, his preconceived notions or his lying eyes?

If that was a tournament with lots of A or Gold level teams, the ump should expect players who can run that fast, and it was just an incredibly bad umpire. Since you aren't in prison, I gather you were able to restrain yourself to some extent.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
Almost unbelievably bad call. Wow. As plate umpire I would have called time, took the base umpire aside to make it clear the call was missed, then if necessary reversed the call, regardless of whether I am actually allowed to. Finish the game without the other umpire if necessary - clearly he is serving no purpose anyway.

Jan 22, 2011
I had an umpire once call my DD out once on a similar play in a pool play game. I knew exactly why the umpire did and he confirmed it after the game. My DD's team was the home team and if she's safe, the run to end the game on mercy rule scores, and the other team was being shut-out. It was 10u and the umpire wanted to give the other team 1 more at bat to make sure everyone on the other team got an at bat.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Almost unbelievably bad call. Wow. As plate umpire I would have called time, took the base umpire aside to make it clear the call was missed, then if necessary reversed the call, regardless of whether I am actually allowed to. Finish the game without the other umpire if necessary - clearly he is serving no purpose anyway.

The umpire was watching a playing coming home. They said the umpire in the field did ask him when requested by the coach but he did not see the play at first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi