IBM presents...You Make the Call!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I think he's checking his wristwatch after making the out call - either double parked or late for a date is my guess as you can't honestly miss a call that badly.

Missed obviously, but I wonder how many times during the game the the first base coach is making signals for "safe" on close(r) calls. As a coach, I personally don't like base coaches trying to influence calls by signalling or yelling results as the umpire is trying to process a decision. I know it's part of the game, but to me, it's akin to yelling out snap counts on defense in football. Let the umpire make their call in peace.

May 20, 2015
there's no way someone can miss this bad, is there? like he obviously wanted to get this one over with?

Jun 12, 2015
Missed obviously, but I wonder how many times during the game the the first base coach is making signals for "safe" on close(r) calls. As a coach, I personally don't like base coaches trying to influence calls by signalling or yelling results as the umpire is trying to process a decision. I know it's part of the game, but to me, it's akin to yelling out snap counts on defense in football. Let the umpire make their call in peace.
We scrimmaged a team with a very competitive coach recently. Very focused on winning. I noticed several times he loudly yelled "good eye!" before the ball even reached the plate. Pretty slimy if it was on purpose, which it seemed to be.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Missed obviously, but I wonder how many times during the game the the first base coach is making signals for "safe" on close(r) calls. As a coach, I personally don't like base coaches trying to influence calls by signalling or yelling results as the umpire is trying to process a decision.
this bugs me too. I know of one team in our local LL where the coaches were yelling out the calls before the (sometimes high school kid) umpire, and they typically got those calls. and those coaches always had successful teams from Majors (U12) thru Seniors (U16).

I met one umpire who told me if it's a close play and the 1B coach makes a call, he will make the opposite call.

Dec 19, 2012
Maybe the umpire thought she missed the bag? That is the only logical explanation for such a horrid call. She clearly steps on the base.

Feb 12, 2014
Back in my umping days, I'd let the 1B coach know that I was making the calls and that he needed to not be making signals in the box. That would usually end it, but I'd never deliberately deny a kid an obvious hit just to prove a point to the coach. If it's that bad, send him to the parking lot. I'm seeing more and more 1B coaches do this in college and it does get on my nerves. Ohio State's 1B coach does it constantly.

There has got to be more to this story than we know right now.

May 13, 2012
Did anyone catch the tag play at second in ut sc game. Ut tagged underside of runners cleat before the bag. Safe was the call and replay showed otherwise. Good example of honest blown call and they happen. The video has to have something else going on for it to missed that bad.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Several possibilities:

1. The umpire was hallucinating.
2. This was a "make up" call, to compensate for an earlier blown call when he called a girl safe who should've been out.
3. The umpire was trying to get even with the 1B coach for making his own calls
4. The umpire wasn't paying attention at all to what was going on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi