I/R Tips on Missing to the Right

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2012
Waterloo Ontario
Hi DFP'ers,

Any advice on how to correct missing to the right? I am noticing that especially when my DD is getting tired she really starts missing to the right now. Not sure where the mechanical breakdown is happening.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

J

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Make sure she is painting target with glove... index finger...& ball... have them together > to umps head...when she comes off the rubber. Have her "find" where best is for her by going right, center, left of umps head. Have to use imaginary umps head to allow it being high enough. Kinda like finding release point, with out the B/I... JMHO :cool:

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2015
When my DD does that (or is otherwise wild) I generally view it as her getting "lazy" and I try and help her in more general terms rather than a specific mechanic.

I will usually ask her to focus on relaxed and loose but make sure she's firing her core and keeping "strong legs" through her throw.

This usually helps straighten everything back up . . .until she gets lazy again!

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
What is the proximity of the wrist to the thigh?
Are her fingers behind the ball or inside with a feathered release?
Is she too open?
Is she striding to the right of the power Line?
Is her butt pushed out and avoiding brush?
Is her chest/torso stable? Or is she spinning out?
Way too many variations to give you an accurate assessment without video!

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2012
Waterloo Ontario
Thanks Coach James, totally understood. I can get some clips up but just wanted to understand general queues that the experts use to get DD's to think about . She recently converted from I/R and brush has recently been pretty good. As she gets tired its starts to break down a bit. I need to get some specific video up to address specifics of course.

Is she too open?

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
What do you mean by "feathered release"?

Is she too open?

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
What do you mean by "feathered release"?

A feathered release typically creates bullet spin. Its done by peeling the ball off the fingers individually. Pinky, ring, middle, and then the index.... rather than evenly. This style of release will sometimes curl the wrist upward, thus creating an unintentional gap between the hand and thigh... this gap can push the ball path in on a right handed batter

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
Oh ok. That's interesting! Sometimes I see my dd's index finger separated from her other fingers at release and when she does that she misses high. But she doesn't have a gap between the hand and thigh (We have gone through periods of elbow and thigh bruising). Her hand is inside the ball not on top. People have asked if she throws a rise...I just laugh and shake my head and say NO! Thanks for all of the information and your contribution to this site!

A feathered release typically creates bullet spin. Its done by peeling the ball off the fingers individually. Pinky, ring, middle, and then the index.... rather than evenly. This style of release will sometimes curl the wrist upward, thus creating an unintentional gap between the hand and thigh... this gap can push the ball path in on a right handed batter

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Thanks Coach James, totally understood. I can get some clips up but just wanted to understand general queues that the experts use to get DD's to think about . She recently converted from I/R and brush has recently been pretty good. As she gets tired its starts to break down a bit. I need to get some specific video up to address specifics of course.

If this is happening when she gets tired she may not have fully internalized the new motion yet. She can do it when she's mentally sharp, but when she loses focus she's probably somewhere between her old motion and new. When we get tired we tend to fall back on what's most comfortable (or ingrained).

Make sure she's throwing all the way through release (instead of getting to release and then letting up) and that her hand is turning inward as part of the IR/release. Sometimes they have to think a little more consciously about throwing straight ahead, otherwise they drift to the throwing hand side.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
What's the rotation of the ball? Does the ball lose rotation? Getting tired maybe not finishing with the lower half of the body and twisting the shoulders to compensate. Really just guessing