I need help on this issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
The county is offering you 2 practice days at no charge?

I'd take them quickly.

The rec season probably lasts 2 months. See whether there is a coach who may wish to swap times with you.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
South Florida
A lot of good insight and options on this thread to consider.

Thinking a little outside the box I see that you had mentioned your frustration on these being Church day/night times. Are you able to practice late on Sunday after Church activities and maybe have an "optional" 15-20 minute bible study before Wednesday night temporarily?

In our pc (no not pitching coach) world this may not be a good idea but it may work for your situation.

Good Luck Coach

Apr 1, 2010
The county is offering you 2 practice days at no charge?

I'd take them quickly.

The rec season probably lasts 2 months. See whether there is a coach who may wish to swap times with you.

DD's team is joining a spring league this year and one of the main reasons is that it comes with a practice field slot. Fields tend to be sewn up by rec associations, or reservable for more money than we'd want to spend or first come-first served so that you can't schedule team practices unless you've got parents willing to camp out. Two free practice days is a great deal! :-D

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
We are lucky in my town. Fields are handed out on a first-come, first served basis the month before. So if you want a field for April, you line up March 1. The bad news is you actually line up in the cold, really early in the morning, on March 1 and wait until the doors open at 8:00. You hand in your requests, and the park district manages them as best they can. It's a lot more egalitarian than what most of you are describing.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that these are just practice fields. The local rec league has its own complex for games. I spent many a day there, mostly with my sons playing baseball. The girls both played travel softball from a pretty early age.

Nov 29, 2009
this ^

If someone offered me a field for free 2 days a week I'd probably start a thread here to say how surprised and happy I was lol

They are trying to buffalo the OP. The Sunday slot is useless to a travel team. They are playing on the weekends. And he did say something about church. I am making huge inference here, but I would speculate there is some type of bible school on Wednesday nights. If that's the case the park district is making the families choose between ball and church. In a lot of heavily Christian areas of the country church will almost always come first.

I was involved with a rec program for while trying to bring travel to it. The woman who was in charge of the fields would always try to give the travel teams Sunday time slots. After being told numerous times they are useless she would say it was the only thing open. I asked her why the rec girls don't play on Sunday. Her answer was because they never did in the past. Even though the same families with rec boys would be there for games on Sunday. She would not budge on it simply saying "Because." The board would not overrule her. That was the last straw. I gave up on rec leagues. The only thing that changes are the names.

Mar 3, 2013
this ^

If someone offered me a field for free 2 days a week I'd probably start a thread here to say how surprised and happy I was lol

Nothing is free for us. We still have to pay for the facility and lights. Our rec league does not own these filds and the rec league is not ran by our county. Our local little league is the biggest joke you could even think of. Its a huge dramaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ring. They hate the word travel ball. All of my players are from the same little town.

Mar 3, 2013
they hate travel ball and the county manager said that the rec league will have this from feb-july. No one will help us because our players beat theirs out at school ball tryouts and they wonder why. Maybee because my daughter has played over 100 games this yr when yours only played 10....

Mar 3, 2013
they hate travel ball and the county manager said that the rec league will have this from feb-july. No one will help us because our players beat theirs out at school ball tryouts and they wonder why. Maybee because my daughter has played over 100 games this yr when yours only played 10....

I'd take them quickly.

The rec season probably lasts 2 months. See whether there is a coach who may wish to swap times with you.[/QUOTE]

Dec 7, 2011
Hmmm - Who owns the fields and their upkeep then?

If it is public domain and everyones taxes is paying for it I would go on the attack (if I had the time and potentially the legal $).

I refuse to allow a government office like parks & recreation conclude that "the boys club has always used it and that's the way it is". This would sound ripe for discrimination. (granted you wouldn't go into the middle of the current season but expect an equal consideration grant of time for the start of the new season).

BUT if it's privately owned & funded. Then get a school bus cuz yer gonna be driving that 40 miles!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes