Need some advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2020
Well i have gotten so much help on here with suggestions and wanted to continue to get some more feedback on other things.

1. We will be having our final open tryouts this sunday (we are a new team) so we can finalize the roster to get ready for our first ever tournament as a team. How many spots do ya'll leave open for pitchers? as far as bracket or pool pitchers?Does ya'lls bracket pitchers ONLY pitch in bracket games then sit the bench? or do they play a position other than pitcher when not pitching?

2. Does everyone usually have a dedicated catcher that catches for them EVERY game or do they have a couple that rotate in and out no matter the situation?

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
The answer may depend. What age and level is the team? Because it is new, I am guessing B or C level?

Typically, a travel team will carry three pitchers and, perhaps, a position player who "can pitch." If you are a 10U team, however, I would suggest carrying more than three and giving them circle time because you may never know what girl is actually going to throw strikes that day (good to have options) and, looking ahead, you don't know what girls will actually stick with pitching or develop into effective pitchers. Most who are doing it at 10U or 12U won't be doing it at 14U and above, at least based on our experience. It takes too much additional work and is too much pressure for many or most.

Again, if this is a younger team (10U or 12U), then, yes, pitchers should be playing a secondary or even tertiary position in the field because you should be trying to develop them not only as pitchers but as softball players. They should be hitting and fielding so that they can learn the game. Again, many of these younger pitchers will not be pitching a couple seasons from now. There have been other threads on the board about the "pitcher only" player and, I think the consensus is that before at least 16U, the "pitcher only" thing is not a great idea.

Most teams will carry two primary catchers and possibly another position player who "can catch." It is too much to ask one girl to catch three pool games and potentially three+ bracket games the next day...especially in the summer heat. You would also be one injury or birthday party invite away from a disaster. Catching, like pitching, is another specialty position and takes a different kind of kid to get back there and take the abuse...especially from young developing pitchers who will be throwing the ball everywhere.

Sep 29, 2020
Thank you so much man, Very informative.
Yeah we are a new C class 10U team.
We have roughly 4 pitchers at this time, 1 bracket, Possibly 2 the rest pool I would say.
Catcher we are only at 2.
Our starting catcher and our backup.I plan on swapping them at 1st base since thats their secondary position.

With this being MY first team to Coach as a HC, with several several seasons of assisting, To top it off we are coming off a 8U spring season with our first 10U fall league season we are going into travel 10U so I'm trying to find the best strategies to play with.I know it all will depend on what type of athletes I have as well.
But the role of catchers and pitchers in 10U I'm trying to get educated on as much as possible.
It's looking like I'll have 11-12 players total.

Another concern I will have is how many I bat, Would y'all recommend to bat all of them, Or let the slower one(s) sit the bench during important bracket games??

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
At the age and level of play you are at, I would suggest batting your whole lineup in pool play and during bracket play (assuming the sanctioning org allows for that on bracket day). I think most would agree with me that at 10U C the primary goal for your team should be to develop the girls and to have fun doing it. Winning should be a secondary consideration. If they are developing and playing an appropriate level of competition, you should be winning some games along the way, so development vs. winning need not be mutually exclusive.

Depending on the goals you have and the vision you have for your team, 10U and 12U should be primarily about development. As many say, real softball doesn't start until the pitching rubber moves back to 43' at 14U.

Jul 22, 2015
We have roughly 4 pitchers at this time, 1 bracket, Possibly 2 the rest pool I would say.
Our starting catcher and our backup.I plan on swapping them at 1st base since thats their secondary position.

With this being MY first team to Coach as a HC, with several several seasons of assisting, To top it off we are coming off a 8U spring season with our first 10U fall league season we are going into travel 10U so I'm trying to find the best strategies to play with.I know it all will depend on what type of athletes I have as well.
But the role of catchers and pitchers in 10U I'm trying to get educated on as much as possible.

Another concern I will have is how many I bat, Would y'all recommend to bat all of them, Or let the slower one(s) sit the bench during important bracket games??
At 10u and as a C team, I'd always bat everyone and split most of the time fairly equally at all positions. You need 3 catchers (or 2 catchers and one I call a "can catch" kid), and I'd split their time pretty equally as well. Not to be overly blunt, but at 10u C you don't have bracket and pool pitchers, just pitchers. Obviously you may have good, better, best and use them accordingly, but they all need development at this age and I wouldn't go over 4 pitchers total because it just gets difficult to get them enough innings.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am not sure about equal playing time but everyone should play in almost all the games.

P and C can be channeling. A little older age group but DD overpowered the C assigned to her. They looked OK in practice, game not so much. The HC's plan went down the tubes 1st game DD pitched. Caught up a little latter having thier DD C which they really did not want to do.

DD started TB a little latter then this. One of the differences is she usually, at most, played a DH and went home. TB you might have a lot of games and sitting around quite a bit. When the temps get low or high it can wear on the players.

4 pitchers seems Ok. I would try to train another C so you are somewhat comfortable with the 3rd one. Play her when it is a blow out either way and be ready to replace her if you need to.

Lastly do not fall into the trap of playing all the studs then the lessor players.

This is being sarcastic but of course your DD pitched better, she has our A Team behind her. Let's see her with the B Team. Try to balance it out the best you can.

Oct 4, 2018
Have you had a talk with the parents? That's where the team is made or ruined.

Get them on board that this is development for all girls. Not just the best ones, not just the coaches' kids.

Bat everyone, ask girls where they want to play and let them get better in practices and play some in games. Don't be all about winning.

May 6, 2015

if you plan to have your #1 catcher catch all your braket games, make certain #2 gets at least 2 games on saturday. otherwise you will constantly be looking for another #2 catcher.

bat them all at that level whenever allowed. they will not get better if they do not see live pitching.

I also would not reccomend not batting someone based on speed. if you do decide to not bat someone, it should be based on ability to get on base, advance runners, etc. you can always sub in a runner if you are not batting everyone in a tight spot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802