I made my 1st base DD watch over and over......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2020
We (10u) did some infield coverage situations at practice tonight and it made me think of this.

Why not have LF cover third in that situation? I know they're not 9 years old at Arkansas, but that's a long run for a 1B.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I know they're not 9 years old at Arkansas, but that's a long run for a 1B.

Based on where she is at the time of the pitch, she has to run maybe 70-75 feet in the same time the runner on first has to run ~115 (with a turn). The LF could come in here, but unless she's playing shallow, I'm not sure it's an easier play for her (and, as an outfielder, she's less likely to be skilled at fielding throws and making tags).

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
It's only 60 feet or so for the catcher which is who I use in this situation. Catcher's already moving that direction, F1 and F5 are already moving towards home, are experienced fielders in the sweep/tag/catch, can cover home adequately and a catcher in full gear is rather intimidating to many BR's when covering a bag. Yes, on hot days it'll wear her out quicker against small ball teams but that's why I train/offer/keep 2-3 quality catchers on the roster. Plus, even small ball teams only bunt so often.

Dec 11, 2010
Why not cover 4?

Sheesh it looks like 1b sprints over there, C is basically already there and pitcher/SS are spectators? Somebody needs to charge them 15 bucks, they have a great spot to watch the game🤣

Flip side: Kinda snarky but I think this looks like really well executed 12u base running. Yep, nobody there. Oops, Buh Bye.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Good small ball defense.
Maybe the offense were trying to put pressure on, but that runner looked like had no business attempting that.

On the next batter
No excuse for the leftfielder to miss catching that fly ball.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Good small ball defense.
Maybe the offense were trying to put pressure on, but that runner looked like had no business attempting that.

On the next batter
No excuse for the leftfielder to miss catching that fly ball.
Yeah she should have caught it but, Hannah McEwen:
NFCA All-South Region Second Team… All-SEC First Team… One of two players to start all 58 games of the 2019 season… SEC regular season hits leader (73)… Reached base safely in 31 of 36 games against Top 75 RPI competition… Team leading .429 batting average in SEC play, third-best among SEC players… Against LSU (April 18-20), she went 8-for-12 (.667) with one double, one HR – 1.000% slugging, .714% on base percentage, brought in six RBI and scored six runs… Recorded a hit in eight of the last nine regular-season games (went 18-for-30 (.600) at the plate)… Had the longest hitting streak on the team (14 games)… Is the first Razorback to finish the regular season batting .400 or better (.402 on May 6)… Only the second Razorback to make the single-season top 10 hit list twice… Currently ranked first in program history for career batting average (.362)… Earned a career-high four hits twice versus Nevada (March 1) and LSU (April 19)… Also doubled twice in the same game two times versus Nevada (March 1) and Boston (March 2)… Batting .386 overall, .429 in SEC play, .450 at Bogle Park.

If you can hit, you will play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish