I love it when the training takes hold

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Had one of those experiences that makes a coach feel good -- and guilty at the same time. We had a game today, with me coaching third.
We had runners on first and third, and there was a wild pitch. I sent the runner, who is not exactly fast, home as I could see the ball was slowly rolling back to the screen. I could see it was going to be a close play, so I stood there watching it like everyone else. The runner was safe at home on the toss. I then looked toward third, where I saw the runner who had been on first halfway between second and third, looking like she was not exactly sure if she should keep coming. I motioned for her to come and she was safe with no play.

It was a real heads-up play on the runner on first's part. We've been talking about runners using their heads and making judgments on their own. We've also been talking about not settling for one base when you can get two. It was cool to see it actually happen.

The only negative was on me. While the play at home was going on, I stood their like a spectator. All I was missing was a box of popcorn and a Diet Coke. What I SHOULD have been doing was ignoring the play at home and looking to the trailing runner. Luckily, the runner was doing her job, even if I wasn't.

With the A-Team movie coming up, I only have one thing to say about today's play: I love it when a plan comes together!

More...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck