I held a successful sliding clinic

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I invited my students that are 10 and younger to a free sliding clinic. They seemed to enjoy it and almost everyone picked it up, easily. We also covered the Look Back Rule and tagging up.
preview-web.jpg

Jun 24, 2013
It is great, and a lot of fun, to teach young kids to slide. They have no fear! When they get older it is harder if they do not know how to side yet.

Let me know when you are in town I will pay your going rate for a tagging up clinic. Players are only 13 and 14 YOs, I think they will eventually figure it out.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
James, what town are you in? I think a "tagging up" clinic, would take about 5 minutes of my time. :)

In the local league that I was at, they can't slide in 8U and can't run on a caught fly ball until 12U. The kids just aren't learning the game, because it is dumbed down so much.

Mar 1, 2013
James, what town are you in? I think a "tagging up" clinic, would take about 5 minutes of my time. :)

In the local league that I was at, they can't slide in 8U and can't run on a caught fly ball until 12U. The kids just aren't learning the game, because it is dumbed down so much.

No kidding. My line up card holder has several double-sided laminated cards with the "overrides" for each rec league I call games for. It ultimately comes back to haunt them if the kids want to play at higher levels.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Amy

I used the picture of your granddaughter sliding to inspire my DD (9YO) to learn. She went from apprehensive to full on sliding.

Oct 25, 2009
How do you handle heavy girls that have difficulty learning to slide. Some don't seem to be able to get up enough speed to slide.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Very cool that you did this. DD didn't learn to slide until she played TB at 11. She was tall by then and it was not easy getting the landing gear down without jumping too high.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
How do you handle heavy girls that have difficulty learning to slide. Some don't seem to be able to get up enough speed to slide.
I went to a clinic one time and one of the stations involved two adults holding a bar that the girls would run up to and swing under, sliding as they went.(this was indoors) the more they did it, the more they got into it. my DD was one of the heavier girls who didn't run fast and was not light on her feet. she really had fun with it and learned how it felt to do it right so that she could slide under the bar without holding it before the end of the 15 minute station.

I have done this successfully with U12's. the kids really have fun with it and when they see some kids doing it without holding on they all want to try it that way.

Jun 24, 2013
Yes, yes, yes. Get them sliding early. Props to you for doing this. They take to it so much easier when younger. My 8U DD used to love to come to my 14U practices and show the 14U girls how to do it "right".

May 7, 2008
Tucson
A heavier girl, should start her slide a step closer to the bag, than these little bitty light weights. She isn't going to slide as far. Once she learns to slide, though, she will be fine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd