DD is scared to slide at home

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 7, 2022
My DD just turned 10 years old and is a first year 10u player. Last season I noticed that once she got to 3rd she would not be able to advice home on a passed ball. She would go half way then go back to 3rd even if she could make it home if she slides. When I asked her about it she says she is scared of sliding at home because the catcher. I guess she thinks she's going to collide with the catcher if she goes home. Also she says she is worried that if she gets out the team/coach will be mad at her. The coach and I both told her that the team and coach won't be made if she gets out. I told her by not going you are going to let down your team. Does anyone have any advice on what to say or do? I know she's young but I'm just trying to limit the fear and let her enjoy the game even more then she does already.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Maybe let her know her fear is natural and it's just something she will eventually overcome. It's great you and coach are encouraging her.

Warning: The 1st time she takes off and makes it home, you may have a base running monster on your hands :devilish: ;)

Sep 7, 2022
Maybe let her know her fear is natural and it's just something she will eventually overcome. It's great you and coach are encouraging her.

Warning: The 1st time she takes off and makes it home, you may have a base running monster on your hands :devilish: ;)
I've had that talk with her also. Told her that everyone has fear of something. Told her every girl on her team is scared of something.

I hope when she gets over this I won't be able to stop her from running!

Sep 7, 2022
I have always told players if I tell them to run they are probably late already.

In your case I would tell her to listen to her 3rd base coach. If she is out it is on them.
I've told her this and so has her coach. I will remind her again and let her know its on coach.

Mar 8, 2016
Make sliding fun. At this age, slip and slides are fun. When I coached rec at the young ages, I would bring a slip and slide to a couple of practices. The girls loved it. At the end of the first practice, they just slid down the slippy slide. At the next practice, we worked on sliding technique. Nothing worked better, in my opinion. Scoring runs is also fun. Play up the fact she scores. Hopefully, the coaches have picked up on her hesitation and will make a big deal when she does do it. Almost all girls at this age want to please. Giving them the opportunity to succeed is key. Ice cream at the end always helps.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
What exactly is scary about the catcher?

Why (to her) is this different from stealing 2nd or 3rd base? She slides and perhaps her cleats hit the catcher. Big whoop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2