I give up..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Same scenarios here... I gain and loose a few every year. When they leave its to go with Sally who's amazing coach is teaching 12 different pitches(hello elbow style of course) and when they are new or come back its because they want to know the secret why little 9yr old Sara is throwing 45 mph?!?! Or how does Katie get the ball to curve like that!?!?!
Dont sweat it, just relax and work with the ones who are still there as well as the new ones who will inevitably show up!

Aug 20, 2013
If you weren't being paid, I say you got the better end of the stick. You can't take it personally. They might of had a hard time taking you seriously if they just saw you as a dad offering help. Some don't want to impose, some don't think it is legit unless they are paying for it and some just don't know when they have a good thing.

This gives you more free time to work with your daughter. The proof will be in the pudding when they see how skilled your daughter is.

GG

May 29, 2013
Sounds like growing pains. I know i went through it. I teach my dd and her friend (who asked me) hitting right next to "coaches" who are teaching no load level swings.

You can't save the world, so save the ones you can.

Oct 22, 2009
Welcome to my world.

When I first see a student, I began to tell them (parents) my coaching philosophy. I explain IR and HE to them, I want them to know the difference and to recognize the HE drills when they see them done by other pitchers, so they don't question, why does my kid do something no one else does?

Just last week, I started a new 8yr old and right in the next lane an older girl shows up and begins her HE drills, so I actually had someone right there demonstrating the "other" way right beside me. Her warm ups consisted of facing her dad and pulling her arms back all the way and swinging them forward then doing a straight snap right up "through the Hello Elbow Zone".

After the brief discussion on the difference between the two, I give them a handout on IR, slow motion still shots of several pitchers throwing with it, and explain, it's how the TOP pitchers throw.
After a few lessons I use my coaches eye to show them their release and compare it to the slow motion pitchers using IR.

Even after I spend all that time educating them, they still will go to another PC that teaches HE.

It's extremely frustrating and I'm glad we have this place to vent :)

I had a kid that I started at 10yrs, had her till she started high school, she was a great pitcher. Her dad decided in order to get her into the TOP D1 schools she needed a "famous" instructor, so he took her to our local ex-olympian. Who proceeded to teach her HE and donkey kicks.
Oh boy that was frustrating to me! It all worked out in the end, all those years of her throwing IR, she couldn't change to HE so she did the "fool the coach" follow through. She's a college freshman this year at a good D1 school close to home, not the big school her daddy wanted, but it will be good for her.

Mar 28, 2013
The biggest selling point the Hello elbow crowd uses is Fear. They scare the Parents into Their way of pitching using the "you continue to let your young Daughter throw across her body like that her shoulder will be nothing but a bloody stump by college. Then they look at the parents like they are considering child abuse. coupled with my brothers good friends neighbor pitched DI most Parents who did not do any of their own homework signs on the bottom line at that point. Heard the speech over and over again and I'm sure ill hear it again.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I need your handout, JoJo. I have a coach's meeting coming up with LL coaches and this is going to give me a good chance to bring some people into the fold.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
And when little Suzy is 16, can't get the ball speed above 55mph, they come back and expect you to perform a miracle in 2 weeks after Suzy has been trained and practiced for the last 6 years as a HE pitcher. "SUZY needs to pitch for her TB team in an 'Elite' showcase next weekend" they'd say, "and the coach from ABC university is supposed to show up to watch her. We told the coach she was throwing 64. Can you help us?" Yeah.....good luck with that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi