I give up..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2013
Welcome to my world.

When I first see a student, I began to tell them (parents) my coaching philosophy. I explain IR and HE to them, I want them to know the difference and to recognize the HE drills when they see them done by other pitchers, so they don't question, why does my kid do something no one else does?

Just last week, I started a new 8yr old and right in the next lane an older girl shows up and begins her HE drills, so I actually had someone right there demonstrating the "other" way right beside me. Her warm ups consisted of facing her dad and pulling her arms back all the way and swinging them forward then doing a straight snap right up "through the Hello Elbow Zone".

After the brief discussion on the difference between the two, I give them a handout on IR, slow motion still shots of several pitchers throwing with it, and explain, it's how the TOP pitchers throw.
After a few lessons I use my coaches eye to show them their release and compare it to the slow motion pitchers using IR.

Even after I spend all that time educating them, they still will go to another PC that teaches HE.

It's extremely frustrating and I'm glad we have this place to vent :)

I had a kid that I started at 10yrs, had her till she started high school, she was a great pitcher. Her dad decided in order to get her into the TOP D1 schools she needed a "famous" instructor, so he took her to our local ex-olympian. Who proceeded to teach her HE and donkey kicks.
Oh boy that was frustrating to me! It all worked out in the end, all those years of her throwing IR, she couldn't change to HE so she did the "fool the coach" follow through. She's a college freshman this year at a good D1 school close to home, not the big school her daddy wanted, but it will be good for her.

jj,
way to go to sell IR! yep, it's frustrating. i've had someone approach me after seeing DD pitch and ask me where she goes to lessons. Can I tell her DFP? :) nah, just told her we used to have a coach (HE), but now we're doing this on our own. it can be and it is frustrating explaining I/R, but it's all worth it.

i've always told DD. get good and soon you can teach. of course coach Dad gets a cut :)

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I have a talented kid who was looking for a PC. She ended up at a very good place but didn't want to get broken down to scratch. She didn't like the "corkscrew" style (as she called it) and wanted to find an HE coach. I said ok, "here's a good one" and moved on. What can you do? I also know a kid who drives 50 miles for her lesson with a famous dad coach who teaches HE even though his great daughter did not pitch that way. What's that all about? Why would you drive that far to learn what most bums are teaching right in your back yard.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Welcome to my world.

When I first see a student, I began to tell them (parents) my coaching philosophy. I explain IR and HE to them, I want them to know the difference and to recognize the HE drills when they see them done by other pitchers, so they don't question, why does my kid do something no one else does?

Just last week, I started a new 8yr old and right in the next lane an older girl shows up and begins her HE drills, so I actually had someone right there demonstrating the "other" way right beside me. Her warm ups consisted of facing her dad and pulling her arms back all the way and swinging them forward then doing a straight snap right up "through the Hello Elbow Zone".

After the brief discussion on the difference between the two, I give them a handout on IR, slow motion still shots of several pitchers throwing with it, and explain, it's how the TOP pitchers throw.
After a few lessons I use my coaches eye to show them their release and compare it to the slow motion pitchers using IR.

Even after I spend all that time educating them, they still will go to another PC that teaches HE.

It's extremely frustrating and I'm glad we have this place to vent :)

I had a kid that I started at 10yrs, had her till she started high school, she was a great pitcher. Her dad decided in order to get her into the TOP D1 schools she needed a "famous" instructor, so he took her to our local ex-olympian. Who proceeded to teach her HE and donkey kicks.
Oh boy that was frustrating to me! It all worked out in the end, all those years of her throwing IR, she couldn't change to HE so she did the "fool the coach" follow through. She's a college freshman this year at a good D1 school close to home, not the big school her daddy wanted, but it will be good for her.
I COULD LITERALLY COPY THIS STORY WORD FOR WORD AND BE TELLING THE TRUTH!!!!
Its happened a few times actually...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi