I give up..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 7, 2012
So last summer I started to teach a girl on our team to pitch without the hello elbow style, and it started going alright, but then she changed her mind and really didn't want to pitch anymore. I understood and no hard feelings.. come this winter, she now wants to pitch again, but instead of going with me again, he and her mom choose the hello elbow coaches.. I don't know why.. maybe it's because he is the high school coach and our teams head coach while I am just the AC.. I am not really sure.. I just don't get it and I guess it's time for me to just work and concentrate and my dd and quit trying to help others.. it's the 2nd or 3rd time this has happened. . Just wanted a place to vent.. thanks guys

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I "think" a long time student of mine changed and went to the HE coach. They canceled and just never came back. I had taught her since she was 8. Then, another student asked me if I had seen ______ pitch lately. I said "No." The little girl said "She's all tight and throwing her elbow up in the air."

I know why they change here. So , they can say "We go to (college star's mom.)"

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
From what you have said, I assume this girl is high school age or close to it? Change is hard and the older they get the harder it is for the pitcher or the parents to want to change. It took my DD several frustrating months to convert from HE to IR and many do not want to go thru that. I was shown the light when I found this board and my DD was about 11 at that time so it was easier for her since she was still young. Many are not willing to take a step back to take two steps forward.

Jun 24, 2013
Unless I am specifically asked that is my plan.

I have done my venting and have not tried to complain too much on this board but since you brought it up … :)

Apr 7, 2012
Yeah sounds like something they might say.. I try and try. I told her mom I would work with her dd too, we even live in the same town, but she would rather drive 35 miles and go see him. People are all the same around here, and that is why I drive the 3 hours to Chicago to see Bill Hillhouse when we can.. He tells me what we need to work on and we go from there. She is young, but I am glad I am starting her out the right way to begin with. I try to help the others, but no one wants anything to do with it. Oh well its their loss now..

Apr 7, 2012
From what you have said, I assume this girl is high school age or close to it? Change is hard and the older they get the harder it is for the pitcher or the parents to want to change. It took my DD several frustrating months to convert from HE to IR and many do not want to go thru that. I was shown the light when I found this board and my DD was about 11 at that time so it was easier for her since she was still young. Many are not willing to take a step back to take two steps forward.

Nope.. not even close.. we are a 10u team and that is why I wanted to start her out right.. I think they hear "high school" coach or "we go to so and so" and that's all they care about.. not what is being taught, but who is doing the teaching

Apr 7, 2012
James.. I think that is Going to be my plan now as well.. I might even think twice before telling them yes.. :)

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I WOULD NOT WANT TO BE IN YOUR SHOES!!!

You are clearly the student of the game in this regard, dealing with some closed mindedness. Tough place to be.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Yes it is tough, I usually send them to the Amanda Scarborough power drive video and say that's what I teach! But even with that only a few come back. A lot of times it's about credibility, if you're an assistant you will lose to the head coach every time.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have videos of Scarborough and others on my phone and break them out in the first lesson to set expectations. I get the pitcher and her parents to understand that mechanics are paramount. If they do not want to do it the right way they can go to someone else for lessons that will produce the quick gratification.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802